Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Weird starting problem...

If you ever suspect worn brushes, BANG on it with a BIG HAMMER & it'll usually start.
Bill W.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #22
Big hammer

Ouch :-)
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big hammer View Post
Ouch :-)
Now THAT is funny!!
Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #24
Nabco

Default Re: Weird starting problem...UPDATE

Gentlemen, I finally was able to spend a little time on this problem so wanted to update everyone on what I found.....first of all thanks for all the suggestions, I decided to start with the most simple things....

First I checked the cable connection to the starter switch and it was very loose, I was able to rotate it left and right, tightened that up good.

Next I checked the battery, first of all the water was low in every cell and when testing it with the hydrometer all cells tested at the top of the red area. I went ahead and added distilled water and closed her up.

Went to start her up and it hesitated a little (kind of expected this because the battery tested low) but she did start on the second rotation.

Took her for about a 25 or 30 minute drive, about 10 miles, a lot of traffic this time of night...

When I got home I let her fast idle for another 10 minutes and shut her down..came back about 15 minutes later and she fired right up on the first turn, no choke with gav open about 1/4 turn.

So based on the symptoms from Saturday, trying to recreate a close as possible I believe I may be good to go.

Thanks

Nick
Old 10-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Nick,

I think most on this Forum will agree that the "HIGHLIGHT" of this "entire" Forum is to have wonderful gentlemen like yourself who come back to report what is stated in your reply no. 24.

You found the problem, got it fixed ........ and compassionately took your most valuable time to get back to report your findings in order to help other Model A owners who may encounter similar problems.

So many almost everyday Forum members contribute so much of their valuable time, experiences, and advice for FREE ....... and in many cases, some Zipper Lip Scrooge Farts fix their Model As with their FREE advice, and never take the time to get back to respond in order to help others to repair their Model As.

Just a Big Thanks for your very thoughtful reply.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #26
Nabco

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi Nick,

I think most on this Forum will agree that the "HIGHLIGHT" of this "entire" Forum is to have wonderful gentlemen like yourself who come back to report what is stated in your reply no. 24.

You found the problem, got it fixed ........ and compassionately took your most valuable time to get back to report your findings in order to help other Model A owners who may encounter similar problems.

So many almost everyday Forum members contribute so much of their valuable time, experiences, and advice for FREE ....... and in many cases, some Zipper Lip Scrooge Farts fix their Model As with their FREE advice, and never take the time to get back to respond in order to help others to repair their Model As.

Just a Big Thanks for your very thoughtful reply.
You are very much welcome, I would be lost without this forum, when my father-in-law gave me this car 2 years ago my mechanical ability was adding washer fluid and he passed away shortly thereafter so has not been around to help but you guys are, I'm getting more and more comfortable "getting my hands dirty" (actually I wear gloves).

Anyway I really appreciate the help you guys provide.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #27
Fred K-OR

You may still have a battery problem. Sometimes batteries do strange things.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote