Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-22-2023, 10:17 AM   #1
patrickdee

Default 1940 Ford pedal assembly rebuild

While adjusting my clutch I noticed a lot of play in the clutch pedal. The brake pedal is the same. The replacing of the bushings and shaft seem straight forward. What is required to remove the pedal assembly? Looks like I might have to remove the master cylinder? Do I have to remove the brake pedal itself in order to remove the assembly from the frame? I have done a search and haven't found the answer to these questions. In order to do this I see that I need to remove the floor board to get at the assembly. I don"t own a shop manual so I m reaching out for some guidance. Thanks
patrickdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: 1940 Ford pedal assembly rebuild

Yes, remove the master cylinder and wood floor board. It can be removed with pedal arms still attached but it takes some fishing , I’ve done it more than once. When you press the new shaft in place make sure to get it equal on each side. It’s a good idea to compare the new shaft against the old. I bought a new one once that was a little too short then there was no room left to install the clip on the end .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
patrickdee

Thanks for the advice. Will I be able to leave the brake lines attached to the master cylinder or is it best to remove them?
Old 03-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

Probably need to remove them. I’ve never tried it with the master cylinder still under the car. The times I done it I was replacing everything anyway.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
patrickdee

Rebuilt the pedal assembly over the last week. All in all not a hard job but not fun either. I can see where this would be much easier with the engine and or transmission out of the car. I have dual exhaust so removing the assembly together was not possible. I was able to leave the master cylinder connected to the brake lines. The old pedal bushing and shaft were in bad shape as would be expected. Replacing the bushings was easy. A press is a must to replace the shaft. I also replaced all the clevis pins as they were worn. The total cost for parts was around $40 which is cheap compared to most things that I do with car.
Old 04-03-2023, 02:01 PM   #6
JayChicago

Thanks for posting this follow up. Good info for others to know.
JayChicago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:25 AM   #7
patrickdee

One thing to add. The zerk fitting on the brake side is a pain to get at. You will need a right angle end on your grease gun or replace the zerk with a right angle type.