Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2010, 11:10 AM   #21
Greg way out West

Exclamation Re: Oil Blowby

Hi guy's

The A engine came out before the "Road draft tube" was standard on latter motor's. The filler pipe is the only way in or out on the A engine (blow-by)

The fumemaze "pipe" is a halfway cure..but it will keep the mess off the firewall..To make it work you'ed have to make some kind of "Vent" over on the valve cover side..

As you go down the road the vacuum on the end of the pipe from the air passing by it will suck the blow-by out of the engine.

Fresh air will enter at the Valve cover. Now you can see how the road draft tube work's.. It was used for year's. "But" with million's of car's using this system there were fume's going out into the air....

This why the PCV "System" came into effect.. It sucked the fumes out of the engine and "Metered" them back to the intake to be burned.. This is what I have on my engine & it work's well...It suck's fresh air in the filler pipe....It's what's called a "open" system..Modern car use a "closed" deal

In the "How to restore your Model A " volume "4" there are two tip's shown..First one is how to install a PCV valve on page 31. Second one is showing a vent on page 92.

The way the guy did the vent could cause a problem if there were a backfire..could blow the pan off !!! This will not happen with a PCV valve installed as it will close in case of a back fire.

Good luck with whatever "system" you choose ....

Greg out west
Greg way out West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #22
TinCup

Default Re: Oil Blowby

Does anyone have these instructions on installing a pcv valve?
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #23
Dick Deegan

I took Hoarsewhisperer's advice and referred to the previous thread on this subject. I did not know that the oil filler tube had to be oriented in a particular way with the bottom baffle facing downward. I checked mine and, sure enough, it was pointing almost up. Fixed that in a hurry.

HoarseWhisperer (you should change your handle - it's too difficult to type - my fingers are sore) and bogdonj - do you have any concerns about small pieces of stainless steel from the pot scrubber in the cap getting into the oil in the pan?

Dick
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #24
HoarseWhisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Deegan View Post
I took Hoarsewhisperer's advice and referred to the previous thread on this subject. I did not know that the oil filler tube had to be oriented in a particular way with the bottom baffle facing downward. I checked mine and, sure enough, it was pointing almost up. Fixed that in a hurry.

HoarseWhisperer (you should change your handle - it's too difficult to type - my fingers are sore) and bogdonj - do you have any concerns about small pieces of stainless steel from the pot scrubber in the cap getting into the oil in the pan?

Dick
Dick, does this mean I can follow you on tours now, without using my windshield wiper?

Here's a photo of the "stuff" inside my oil filler cap that's been there since I purchased the Roadster, four years ago.

It appears rather coarse; like a mini-slinky. Never saw any of it in the pan. The oil filler baffles are positioned correctly and my engine compartment stays clean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil-Cap-001.jpg (60.1 KB, 21 views)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #25
Dick Deegan

Yes, but your car will rust out earlier without that oil mist on it coming from mine!!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #26
Dick Deegan

BTW, thanks for the picture.

Dick
Old 10-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #27
bogdonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Deegan View Post

Dick
I have no worries about the pad breaking apart and getting into my engine. It's securley put in place and if it did happened to come loose for no reason it would be extremely hard for it to get past the baffles in the pipe.
bogdonj is offline   Reply With Quote