Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #21
Terry,NJ

Default Re: Rumble Seat vs. trunk values

If I wanted a practical vehicle, I'd have bought a PU truck. I like my rumble seat. Modern cars all have trunks, the Rumble seat helps to show the difference between the new and the old. And My Grandkids like it!
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
And what about the person in the front seat when all these tragedies happen. Will they go unscathed ? Pretty weak argument as I see it !
Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
So by never placing a human being in the rumble seat, I'm sure you would say no one should ever drive or ride on a motor cycle then? Or ride a bike down the road?
I wasn't aware that sharing my opinion would lead to anger.

It is simply my opinion that riding in a Model A rumble seat in modern traffic is much more dangerous than riding inside a Model A passenger compartment. It is also my opinion that a Model A coupe with a rumble seat is less valuable or useful than a Model A coupe that has a trunk. That is all.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #23
Franchise_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I wasn't aware that sharing my opinion would lead to anger.

It is simply my opinion that riding in a Model A rumble seat in modern traffic is much more dangerous than riding inside a Model A passenger compartment. It is also my opinion that a Model A coupe with a rumble seat is less valuable or useful than a Model A coupe that has a trunk. That is all.
No anger on my part, can't speak for the other poster, but you dodged the motorcycle and bicycle questions....
Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #24
CarlG

I have yet to figure out why some people get their panties in a bunch over someone else sharing their honest opinion -- one that relates to their own circumstances and preferences.

I'm not real partial to Chinese food. But I don't throw a hissy fit when my wife wants to go there, I just go with her. And she goes with me to the Mexican food places. It all works out.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #25
H. L. Chauvin

Hi P.S.,

Maybe not anger, just different "opinions" for us all to respect.

I noticed this over 55 years ago in a comical article on "opinions" written about a minister who had visited Al Capone in prison & asked him if he ever felt sorry for all of the murders he had committed throughout his life.

Al responded that in his "opinion", he never murdered anyone -- he just eliminated a few people who were a threat to his successful business.

Always found it interesting that the minister wrote that this statement was Al's most honest "opinion".

From that day on, I learned & still find it interesting to see how people's honest "opinions" are actually not much different from that of Al Capone. LOL
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #26
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
I have yet to figure out why some people get their panties in a bunch over someone else sharing their honest opinion -- one that relates to their own circumstances and preferences.

I'm not real partial to Chinese food. But I don't throw a hissy fit when my wife wants to go there, I just go with her. And she goes with me to the Mexican food places. It all works out.
Sorry Carl, but in this case I will have to side with your wife!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #27
H. L. Chauvin

Carl,

I'm on your wife's side also, Chinese over Mexican.

But in all honesty, with your choosing, I go to Mexico every year with my oldest son ..... some of the most wonderful high class restaurants everywhere ......... but never found an American Taco Bell with our "fake" Mexican food.

Another rumbling opinion ?????
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #28
CarlG

Of course, "The Rest of the Story" is that she really likes Mexican food as well.

As long as I'm paying . . . well you know!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #29
Bill B

We have taken many cross country trips in our coupe. We just take the seats and have a trunk. When we get back we put the seats in and the grand-kids are happy.
Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #30
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
For safety reasons, I would NEVER put someone in the rumble seat of a Model A unless it was for a parade.

I cannot think of a more unsafe way to operate a Model A than to place a human being in a rumble seat. God help them if (when) you get rear-ended, sideswiped, run off the road, etc.

Besides...... All you need to do is look at the trunk space available in a trunk equipped coupe to know that is a good thing. My friend has a 29 with the trunk still and it is awesome! It gets lots of attention.

In my opinion, the coupe with a trunk is far more valuable (and increasingly rare) than the coupes with rumble seats.
Hey P.S.,
I totally agree with YOU and George in your thoughts/preferences !

I have a rumble seat and the cushions were removed , so that none of the many people who asked...did not get in there...to ride and/or try it out !

BTW...the original poster asked for all/any opinions. NOT arguments nor hissy fits regarding others opinions/preferences Need you be reminded about disrespecting others ?

I own a roadster with rumble lid and wish I'd put a trunk lid. The rumble setup seems to have more 'bling' for eyeballers, but seems that the trunk is for utility minded Aers. Therefore ,IMO, value is in the mind of the buyer,eh ?

Last edited by hardtimes; 07-18-2014 at 04:10 PM. Reason: value.......
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #31
ronn

rumble seats are better and that's final!

not angry, just too much coffee.............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #32
pooch

I bet there is a pattern here of grown grand kids and old age and preferring a trunk .

I know some will say they are young and prefer a trunk but let's have some input....

I am 61 , grandkids too young to ride in rumble yet, but a rumble over a trunk any day for me .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:17 PM   #33
Ed in Maine

All these comments on rumble seats and no one mentioned what happens to those wide rear fenders with that high gloss black paint job when the "mother-in-law" slips while getting in & out of the rumble seat! Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #34
pooch

As long as you are in the will, shine 'em even more.

The inheritance will cover the scratch .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #35
rscardina

It's a matter of personal preference. Some will value the additional storage space a trunk offers. My family enjoys the rumble seat. It seems to get attention from people that enjoy looking at our car. I agree it is not very safe. However, riding with a gas tank practically in my lap and having no airbags is not safe either. We have to weigh the enjoyment of these cars against safety. Enjoyment won for me. I just try to be more careful when I drive the A.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #36
Brian in Wheeling

I vote for a trunk. More useable overall no matter what you get into, IMHO.

Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #37
Barry B./ Ma.

Back in the day all the Special coupes came from the factory with a trunk, an optional rumble could be installed at the dealers. It was more common to see roadsters with rumble seats. My Special coupe originally had a trunk but that was converted to a rumble some years later, the car now has a trunk which is much more practical. I had a 29 roadster that had a rumble seat and when we took a trip I had to remove the seats to get the baggage in.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #38
Halswell

Im busy restoring my 31 standard coupe and it was originally a trunk, has been roughly converted to a rumble, and now Im putting it back to a trunk. Much more practical. Some where to put the groceries, cases of beer, spares and lockable too.
So I guess its just personal preference. Happy motoring.
Halswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #39
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise_24 View Post
No anger on my part, can't speak for the other poster, but you dodged the motorcycle and bicycle questions....
Oh, that's right. Here goes-

I do not own a motorcycle, and never will. I don't think they are the safest form of highway travel. However, it does have some merit when off road. I could get into dirt bikes probably. Would more likely go the quad route though.

As for bicycles, I do mountain bike. But I don't do it on highways or busy roads! That is also unsafe.

To answer pooch's comment- I am 45 years old this year. Age may have something to do with some people's opinion, that is a good point. However, if I ever get grandkids, I would never consider putting them in a Model A rumble seat, unless it was while actually in a parade.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #40
Fred
BANNED

I could care less which one is safer.. But if you look around you will find a lot fewer ones with a trunk because most have been changed over.. P.S. It has been said that ALL Special Coups came with a Trunk only.. I have a 1928 with the Rumble seat..Also that 1929 on E-Bay right now is a very nice looking car, But as stated with out the cowl lights would be better..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote