Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #21
Joe K

Default Re: What Brand of Multimeter Do You Suggest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 View Post
Joe K, I thought I was the last dinosaur left on earth. I have both an analog Simpson 260 and a digital Fluke VOM. I also always reach for my Simpson. I have seen them at flea markets and garage sales for as little as $25, can't beat it.
Having a start as an early teen in Ham Radio, (hence my designation "VOM") I envied my older Ham Buddy's equipment, including his Simpson 260. Price of acquisition for me being the problem with the Simpson selling then for upwards of $80.

And then Radio Shack came out with a 'near clone' which surprisingly, actually seemed to have a couple of technical additions to the Simpson - but at less than half the price (List $40) It finally went on sale and I quickly bought one at $35.99.

A bit later I had occasion to bring it out in the presence of one of my 1st Class Electrician friends. "My, what have you here?" he says eagerly. Looking at the meter closer, his face fell.

"You want to be careful with this as it has no overloads or fuse. As long as you don't screw up you'll be fine."

I only burned out the diodes on it once.

And then while building my house - I dropped it. By then it was an old friend and my heart was broken as it hit the concrete and the cheap plastic rendered itself into a thousand pieces.

I paid it homage, though. I carefully recovered all the pieces and saved them for a resurrection. I even bought a replacement project box to put it all into and mount the meter/switch on the front. I trimmed the switch plate and was able to save all the markings.

But the project died in the rush to fatherhood (time) and reasonableness (money.) Better and more capable meters were available for less money.

I still have those parts. I should throw them out.

Sentiment has its limits.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-11-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #22
takomaned

Send a message via Yahoo to takomaned

I've used Flukes for 30+years. They are expensive but provide lots of built in features. When airbags arrived on Volvos in the early 80's we were required to use them because the ohm meter didn't have enough current to deploy them when we needed to do circuit tests. I still have the ones I got them. My only complaint is they have a Fast Blow 10A fuse inside the case. That is only on the Amp. circuit. The fuses are overpriced and hard to find on short notice. I bypassed that feature by soldering a standard blade fuse holder and wires to a bad fuse and put the fuse outside the case
Old 02-11-2015, 03:07 PM   #23
bobusnick104

I use the Harbor Freight model also. They are free and that's the best part. Model A's aren't rocket science. Also, better ones can be found at estate sales.
bobusnick104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:23 PM   #24
Patrick L.

and the 9 bolt battery goes democrat. Who keeps extra 9 volts batterys around.
end quote

LOL ! All batteries go democrat after awhile don't they. Since I'm a long time republican I keep some on hand for just such an occasion. After-al, one can't get caught with a democrat battery ! LOL !
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:27 PM   #25
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
Fluke
It will be the only one you will ever buy
Larry
Unless of course you drop it and break it and then you will wish you had bought the HF.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #26
jrelliott

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have several of the free Harbor Freight Digital meters and carry them in the vehicles to check voltage when I have a problem. For home have a older Radio Shack FET meter and a digital meter that I purchased in '63 while an ET in the Navy. The Radio Shack only takes a 9V battery and a D cell, the other digital meter takes 4 AA batteries. Trouble shot many a problem with the meter purchased in the Navy and it still works great. Want to keep a good meter working accurately, then NEVER loan them out. Got some alligator clips that the ends of the test probes plug into. Have never seen them available since the 70's when doing repair work. Even have a tube extension that you can measure the voltage, view signals or measure ohms from the top of the chassis.
The free HF meters are ok for measuring voltage that does not have a lot of noise. Otherwise a reasonably priced analog meter will suffice for most measurements that we do unless a serious circuit designer. Make sure the meter is fused or will be buying a new one if you measure voltage on the ohms scale or have it on the wrong scale measuring current. Once you have to replace the fuse, need to recheck the calibration by measuring known voltages, ohms and currents through all the scales. When I worked in Electronics, all the meters, scopes and other test equipment had to be checked for calibration on a schedule basis or no product could be shipped wit uncalibrated equipment.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #27
Joe K

Quote:
After-al, one can't get caught with a democrat battery ! LOL !
What exactly does that mean? The battery doesn't vote? Or maybe the battery votes twice and then takes a bus to the next district to vote again? Or maybe the battery votes 100 percent plurality in its district with NO opposition?

Sorry. Trying hard to keep an open (and hopefully funny) outlook on batteries.

That is BATTERIES. Honest.

Joe K
Old 02-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #28
Charles Reese

Oppps .. already posted this on an older thread , but meant for it to go here ...

Been lurking on this important thread … too embarrassed to post my question … but I suspect I may not be the only red-faced hobbyist … so here goes:

I have a couple of the HF freebies, but NO experience with a multi meter. However, my bucket list has room to learn so as to chase issues with my “A”. Does there exist a short course (i.e., article) on how to set and use specifically for our cars?

For me this would also need pix of the dial settings (volts, ohm, etc), where the leads plug into the meter, and simple clear “red wire on _(name of part)___black wire on __(name of part)______” type directions for each of the 'tests'

If such instruction does not exist, maybe some kind snow-bound soul could put one together for one/both of our club magazines!!
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:47 PM   #29
Willie Krash

Had a number of Flukes over the years including a digital VTM scope meter.
Today's cheap meters have more than enough resolution for automotive work.
It all you need. I do see Tripletts and Simpson at secondhand stores. That last one I looked at was $20.00
The last time I had a Fluke I blew the fuse and it was in the $20 range but that was back then.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

I only use the Sperry SP-152A like Mitch pictured.

Here is the easiest meter you can use. You connect two wires with clips, and can't go wrong, unless you clip the wires backwards. This meter is good for 6 or 12 volts, and has only one scale. It doesn't get any easier than this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-15V-Analo...item4173890459
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:08 PM   #31
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
Well, it got guffaws, but I have only a Harbor Freight Digital VOM.

I say I have. I actually have about five of them - more than half gotten with a free coupon on another purchase.

They work. They also break. But did I mention they work? And you're not out so much if they don't.

Joe K
I have several of the HF VOM's also, haven't paid for any of them. I may be just lucky but I have never had one fail either.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #32
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I have several of the HF VOM's also, haven't paid for any of them. I may be just lucky but I have never had one fail either.
NEVER pull the connectors for the probes out of the front of the meter once placed: I had one fail when I pulled the probe, and the inner receiver (metal socket) came out with it.

I started to take it apart to re-solder the connection. This is possible. But then I had a mind-gush: Why go to the effort to fix it? It's only a HF meter.

Sad actually.

This is what we leave our children - a throw-away world. Different by far than even my repair of the Micronta/Radio Shack meter when I blew the diodes.

Hmm. Maybe a re-think on thowing that away.

Joe K
Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #33
ODFever

I keep a HF meter in my tool kit in the trunk of my A. It's there if I need it. If it breaks, I will cut another coupon out and get another meter for free. I would love a Simpson, but it seems easier to stash 2 or 3 HF meters around the house and the garage because I have a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember S#!t!)
Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #34
SeaSlugs

lol i haven't had one break but i got 2 with dead batteries...
Old 02-12-2015, 01:41 AM   #35
montanafordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
NEVER pull the connectors for the probes out of the front of the meter once placed: I had one fail when I pulled the probe, and the inner receiver (metal socket) came out with it.

I started to take it apart to re-solder the connection. This is possible. But then I had a mind-gush: Why go to the effort to fix it? It's only a HF meter.

Sad actually.

This is what we leave our children - a throw-away world. Different by far than even my repair of the Micronta/Radio Shack meter when I blew the diodes.

Hmm. Maybe a re-think on thowing that away.

Joe K
On a slight thread drift I read today that Radio Shack is closing most all of its stores and released a list of some 1700+ store closing including the ones around here. I got my first multimeter from Radio Shack as a christmas gift when I was 12. At the time I was big into HO scale trains and learning about all kinds of electronic projects. I was learning to solder as well and got a nice kit of alligator clips and various electronic components, wire strippers, crimpers etc. I remember when Radio Shack was such a fun place to go for reistors, diodes, swiches, stereo parts, speakers, CB radios, scanners, RC cars etc. I think the internet killed off Radio Shack in a big way. Kids (both the little and old ones) aren't interested in projects or CB/ham radio anymore and most of the other stuff they sold. They also abandoned those roots anyway and didn't get a quality or interesting niche in computers or cell phones to compete with big box stores. Kinda sad in a way. The end of an era almost. At least that stuff was hands on and at times educational. Now most all free time/entertainment is in the digital realm of social networking and video games.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:40 AM   #36
Ab4875

Fluke 73 and Fluke 233 with remote display.
Ab4875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #37
Joe K

Quote:
The end of an era almost. At least that stuff was hands on and at times educational. Now most all free time/entertainment is in the digital realm of social networking and video games.
This the difference between being a producer and being a consumer. Not to trend to the political - we live in a different culture than either our parents (the greatest generation) or our children (the 4th turning).

We're fortunate in that we've lived in both worlds. Also unfortunate, because more than anyone before or after, we see the change.

They (our children) will grow up happier perhaps because their reading about the past brings with it no emotional connection to it. Or, with few exception, any desire for it. Our children, like ourselves and every generation, have all been educated that the future will be "better" - regardless of how it actually turns out in comparison.

If it's "new" it must be better. Or so its sold er, told.

But we can compare. The few who can.

Heh. I mentioned keeping the parts and doing the multimeter transplant to a new box. I see our friend Ebay has SEVERAL intact and possibly like new Micronta/Radio Shack multimeters to offer from, virtually none exceeding the price of the original meter in 1970!

But alas, be sure of your setting before attaching the leads lest you burn up the diodes - or worse.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 02-12-2015 at 08:24 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #38
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Reese View Post
Oppps .. already posted this on an older thread , but meant for it to go here ...

Been lurking on this important thread … too embarrassed to post my question … but I suspect I may not be the only red-faced hobbyist … so here goes:

I have a couple of the HF freebies, but NO experience with a multi meter. However, my bucket list has room to learn so as to chase issues with my “A”. Does there exist a short course (i.e., article) on how to set and use specifically for our cars?

For me this would also need pix of the dial settings (volts, ohm, etc), where the leads plug into the meter, and simple clear “red wire on _(name of part)___black wire on __(name of part)______” type directions for each of the 'tests'

If such instruction does not exist, maybe some kind snow-bound soul could put one together for one/both of our club magazines!!
you are asking the type of questions that always puzzle me. I have a Radio Shack meter from years past and the instructions are minimal, the symbols on the unit are tiny and esoteric, the scale is confusing, etc. makes me want to test the storage battery by putting a pliers across the terminals.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #39
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
you are asking the type of questions that always puzzle me. I have a Radio Shack meter from years past and the instructions are minimal, the symbols on the unit are tiny and esoteric, the scale is confusing, etc. makes me want to test the storage battery by putting a pliers across the terminals.
You just had to use the word esoteric today didn't you ? Now you can go back to the Three Stooges as your day is complete ( lol ) !
Wayne
P.s. I once used esoteric in a law paper and the prof said I got 98% instead of 100% because I used that idiotic word isoteric !
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #40
Patrick L.

There is a Sperry 152 on ebay now.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote