Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #21
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers
Default Re: What kind of oil do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoogah View Post
Wow, 31ModelA, there'd be blokes who would buy your used oil for their next oil change!
It's not discarded, it's is re-used. When some of my lady friends need an oil change, they come running. I have more lady friends needing their oil changed than Jiffy-Lube and............little do their husbands know, they are coming to a "Full-Service" Oil and Lube Service Texaco Station.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:40 AM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
It's not discarded, it's is re-used. When some of my lady friends need an oil change, they come running. I have more lady friends needing their oil changed than Jiffy-Lube and............little do their husbands know, they are coming to a "Full-Service" Oil and Lube Service Texaco Station.
yea and what ever Ed has left over he ships to me for burning in my waste oil heater
it helps him get more coupons
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #23
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
yea and what ever Ed has left over he ships to me for burning in my waste oil heater
it helps him get more coupons
Save those Rotella coupons for the new-bees who ask about the best oil for their Model A. Seems years ago when I asked that same question when actually it was just about three months ago. My how times flies. I believe Rotella will add years to Sarah like it has added to my love life....as if I needed more lovin!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #24
Fred
BANNED

As long as its full !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #25
Bob Bidonde

I use the least expensive synthetic oil I can find, and change it once per year. This has been my practice going on 50,000 miles and it works.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #26
[email protected]

Do not overfill the oil level at your first oil change!!! You should drain out around 4 qts and put that back in. There is always a quart that stays in the dipper pan inside the oil pan that doesn't drain out. ~ 4 qts out and 4 qts in... Put a notch or mark on your dipstick when you fill it up so you have a sanity check on the proper oil level. Some guys have to run just shy of 4 quarts as a cure to prevent oil being pushed out by a worn engine. It all depends on the particular engine.

FYI. I have used Mobil 1 for many years now along with a full flow oil filter on the valve cover. With the driving that I do annually I typically change the oil filter every year and change the oil every other year. The car is in a warm garage year round and the oil is always clean. Just put a drop of oil from the dip stick on a piece of white paper to see for sure.

Also this car had a drip coming from the oil pan gasket before I changed it over to Mobil 1. For some reason the Mobil 1 stopped the leak. I figured it was thin enough, etc. to swell up the gasket.

Also I can not say this for sure as fact but I was told that if you ever did drop your coolant on the road and your engine starts to quickly overheat, the Mobil 1 will not burn / degrade in performance until it reaches a higher temp then the normal SAE oils. Just a little additional margin of safety to prevent a costly engine rebuild.

Welcome aboard and happy motoring!!
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #27
Redbird

Thank you one and all!
Redbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #28
glenn in camino

Valvolene 20/50 synthetic.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 PM   #29
ODFever

First off, welcome to FordBarn!! Inquiring about what type of oil to use is akin to opening a can of oily worms. As you've read already, different people use different oil for different reasons. My advice to you is to stick with the oil that the previous owner used.

FWIW The owner's manual for my 1930 Fordor calls for 40 weight oil. Detergent oils did not exist in 1930. Multi-viscosity oils did not exist in 1930. Model A engines do not run at the same temperatures and were not built with the same tolerances of today's engines.

Last edited by ODFever; 02-11-2015 at 09:09 PM.
ODFever is offline   Reply With Quote