Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
WABOOM

Default Radials... night and day difference!

Yesterday I got my Coker radials installed and alignment done. What an incredible difference in the way the car drives and handles. I love it. They are everything I was expecting. The tires that were on the car were just terrible. They looked good, and the tread pattern was good... but my God they did not handle well at all. I bought Coker Classic Nostalgia. 215-75-15 they are the perfect size to replace the 7.1x15
WABOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Radials... night and day difference!

I did the same thing and totally agree; my old bias ply Firestones used to catch every imperfection in the road and tried to follow them

There have been some complaints about Coker Classics being hard to balance on some of the forums, but I never had that problem; My front tires (185/75R15) mounted up and need no weights. The rears (which were 225/75R15) were not quite as good; one needed 3/4 OZ to balance, while the other required 1 3/4 OZ Sorry about the "Hot Rod" stuff guys; I really like "rubber rakes".

I've had them on for two years and they still run down the road perfectly.

Last edited by tubman; 09-24-2018 at 05:38 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
RalphG

I like the handling of the well used Cooper Discoverer radials on my 52. Only complaint is that they seem to "feel" every rock in the gravel roads even at 28 psi. I'm tempted to experiment and put a set of the old bias ply tires on it just to see if there is a noticeable difference in ride.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:50 AM   #4
Marv

Smile Re: Radials... night and day difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I like the handling of the well used Cooper Discoverer radials on my 52. Only complaint is that they seem to "feel" every rock in the gravel roads even at 28 psi. I'm tempted to experiment and put a set of the old bias ply tires on it just to see if there is a noticeable difference in ride.
There will be a noticeable difference alright if you try any fast driving in curves. The ass will try to get in front of you. Been there and done that. Be careful.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:59 AM   #5
Don

Put a set of 600/16 on my 35 roadster,drives and handles like a modern car also from Coker, I took the rims to Tenn,and had them mounted,...if your ever close to them be sure and go to his museum,has a little bit of everything....