Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
muskox37

Default 1927 T side curtains & turn signals

I just returned from a very rainy outing and I went into full side curtain mode for the first time. These side curtains came with the car when I bought it and they did not have all of the metal rods so I had a machine shop make up two rods to match the ones that I already had. The curtains were a big asset but the front door curtain rode inside the rear curtain, leaving a nice space for wind and rain to enter the cabin of the car.

When you look at the car from the front it is obvious that the front doors are 'inside' the rear doors and the curtains will not align properly. In an actual kit, are the metal posts identical or are they shaped differently to allow for the sweep of the car's sides going from front to rear.

I just thought that maybe I could try reversing the posts to see if I could achieve the same effect. Will do that when I go out to the garage.

I was thinking that turn signals would have been nice to allow me to use the driver's side curtain. Has there been anything posted about creating turn signals on any of the forums? I am thinking the rear signal lights would do the trick.

Bob Pellow
Parksville
muskox37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
rond

Default Re: 1927 T side curtains & turn signals

There should be a tang on the bottom of your side curtain posts. There should be a corresponding slot in the bottom of the hole where the post slides into. The tang should run fore and aft when installed, and the posts should point to the rear of the hole in the door, and toward the outside of the car. This allows the side curtain to overlap the section behind it, AND it alows the curtain to move with the door, almost like a sedan door.

Relative to turn signals, there has been a lot of discussion on the MTFCI board. Bottom line, one of the easiest ways to add the turn signals is to get an accessory turn signal switch (they are still made), and use implement/trailer stop lights mounted below the rear of the car, and beehive yellow clearance lights for the front. 6 volt bulbs will easily interchange with the 12 volt bulbs in the stop lights, but when you buy the clearance lights you need to be sure you are getting lights that use a brass bayonet base bulb, then you can install a 6 volt bulb in the socket.

Ron Dupree
rond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
muskox37

Default Re: 1927 T side curtains & turn signals

Ron,

Given the arrangement it is pretty difficult to install the posts incorrectly, i.e., the tang ensures that the posts will stand outside of the side of the car body.

However, the rear curtain snaps into place with two fasteners that are on the side of the lifter frame at the top of the curtain and there are also two fasteners at the bottom as well. This ensures the position of the rear curtain. And my front curtain rides inside of it despite the outward bend of the rod.

Bob
muskox37 is offline   Reply With Quote