Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 29 A turns over won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian Simpson View Post
I like everything you wrote except the above, a voltmeter will detect voltage, a test light will confirm current flow. I.e. The circuit does not have a high resistance somewhere.

I use several different multi-meters for trouble shooting in certain circumstances, but my favourite tools are test lights. I have several with different bulbs that I have made up myself. For example if I am testing for a headlight not lighting up, I use a headlight bulb as a test light, a parking light bulb for parking light problems, etc. When in doubt as to the current draw of the item to be tested such as a coil, I use the biggest light bulb to draw the heaviest current.

Hope this helps

Ian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Like Ian, I also like to test with current flow more than with volts or ohms. That's why I always check generator field coils by using a 6 volt charger with an amp meter, and look for about 4 amps currect draw on the common long generator.

I could use my ohm meter and look for about 1.5 ohms, but even a poor solder connection between the 2 field coils can show 1.5 ohms. It would take a good connection to show 4 amps of current flow.
I guess i have not eaten and many carrots as you guys have. I can't tell by the brightness of the bulb, 3,5,7 volts. I also have problems with determining the brightness as it differs in the sun, shade, or darkness. In the context of troubling the problem in this thread and the troubling chart posted, if I measure on one side of a junction and get a different voltage on the other side of the junction I know there is high resistance in that junction. If I go along circuit and find 6v, 6v, 6v, 5v, I know there is a problem between those two points. Again I can't see a 1 volt difference in light brightness.

There is nothing wrong with a test light to see if there is some sort of voltage present
Old 05-09-2015, 11:21 PM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

put the test light across a fully charged battery to see the light intensity. then make your tests its pretty easy to see less than 6v or 12v..
i also like using my power probe it gives a digital voltage readout, and you can activate circuits etc plus check for voltage and grounds
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #23
jwinterstein

To all who helped - this morning, I went out, checked for fuel, checked the points, pulled a plug and checked for spark - all there. Turned the switch on and hit the starter and it started right up and runs perfectly. I don't really know what the problem was. I do appreciate all of the good advice, however!
jwinterstein is offline   Reply With Quote