Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Daves55Sedan

Default Tire selection for '55 Courier

I have two bald 710X15's in the rear of my '55 Courier. Been bald over two years but still using the car often. lately I've been scared to take it on the highway.
The 710X15's on the front still got pretty good tread on them, so I want to keep them and put two new Coker American Classic wide whitewall radials (size 670R15) on the rear.
But I saw a notice that warned against "mixing" radial tires with bias ply tires on the same car.
Is that just some malarchy to get you to buy (4) new tires, or is there really a known problem in performance of the tires if you mix them.
I will be keeping the same old 710x15's on the front and putting the new radials on the back. I think maybe there could be something to their warning if you had radials on one side and bias on the other or mixed any other way.
Anyone had any experience with this???
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
Alaska Jim

Default Re: Tire selection for '55 Courier

Although it is not really recommended, you can get by with putting radial tires on the rear, and bias on the front, but DO NOT put radials on the front and bias on the rear. this was common practice when radial tires first came out. When I worked at the local GM dealership back in the early '70s there was a service bulletin about this practice.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
wellcraft17

Years ago I replaced 2 bias tires with radials on my 56 f100, kept the 2 other bias tires as they had plenty of tread left. The result was a terrible driving situation and within several weeks I replaced the 2 other bias tires with radials and the driving problem went away.
wellcraft17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
paul2748

The first question is how old are the tires that you want to keep. If over 6 or 7 years old, they are past their prime. How much is your car and life worth to you if one of the older tires go bad and you end up in a ditch
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #5
Ole Don

The theory was, the radials have so much better traction, they may not lock up at the same time as the bias. A quick rain could end you and the car. Buy a set of new shoes for baby.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:24 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
. . . The 710X15's on the front still got pretty good tread on them . . .
But I saw a notice that warned against "mixing" radial tires with bias ply tires on the same car. Is that just some malarchy to get you to buy (4) new tires, or is there really a known problem in performance of the tires if you mix them.
Anyone had any experience with this???
Unfortunately the amount of tread on a tire is not an indicator of it's overall condition.
Example: How good is the rock-hard crumbly eraser on an old but unused pencil?
Because the two types of tires can respond so differently, the warning about mixing tires is real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
The first question is how old are the tires that you want to keep. If over 6 or 7 years old, they are past their prime. How much is your car and life worth to you if one of the older tires go bad and you end up in a ditch
There should be a four digit number in an oval at the end of the DOT code on the sidewalls, it might only be on one side of the tire. That's the date code of the tire.
Example in image #1, the 16th week of 2012.

If the code is only three digits (not four) the tire was made before the year 2000.
The "443" code in photo two is the 44th week of '93.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
. . . Buy a set of new shoes for baby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DOT tire date.jpg (54.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg date code c.jpg (44.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-07-2018 at 09:41 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote