Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2023, 02:54 PM   #1
kingskid

Default front disc brake conversion

Wanting to put frt. disc brakes on my 47 coupe. Any suggestions to which kit and master cylinder bracket to use? I still have the stock three speed trans. Any help is appreciated.
kingskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: front disc brake conversion

Wilwood.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:35 PM   #3
TJ

Check Speedway. I think they have a kit with the correct bolt pattern. Also look at Magnum Suspension as they may have a kit too.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:59 PM   #4
slowforty

They cost quite a bit of money,and you can get mixed bolt patterns. The cost of completely rebuilding the stock system is at least haslf as much. I used the front brake assembly from an early 50s F 100 pick up on my 40 and was satisfied. For as much as I drive the car.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:47 PM   #5
Krylon32

On my fat fendered cars I use P&J's Power Stoppers. They come in the popular bolt patterns, don't space the wheel hub out and they stop the car. They cost a little more but second best is not for me. Check Roadster Supply, they make a 3 bolt MC for disc brakes.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 11:52 PM   #6
rich b

We have used both Speedway's & ECI's F-150 rotor/big GM caliper kits. Keeps the 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern and does not increase the track width like many kits do. We used a manual 1" bore master.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #7
flatjack9

ECI is a more complete kit. Has all the fittings. Be aware that the discs increase your unsprung weight and is noticeable in the ride.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 11:04 AM   #8
nickthebandit

I agree with flatjack9. I personally know the owner of ECI brakes. He was the shop foreman for many years before the previous owner retired. ECI, IMO, makes the best kit, pricewise and quality wise, plus if you have any problems you will speak to the person that has vast knowledge of their products, not just someone who is a sales person.

Last edited by nickthebandit; 07-16-2023 at 01:15 PM.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 12:39 PM   #9
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
ECI is a more complete kit. Has all the fittings. Be aware that the discs increase your unsprung weight and is noticeable in the ride.
The various disk brake types I have used on many race cars have usually weighed about HALF as much as a conventional drum brake per wheel.
Wilwood and Airheart were probably the lightest. The JFZ's were very light but only single puck on the front.

The last Wilwood 4 wheel kit I bought came with everything needed to convert an early Ford to disks including a mechanical disk parking brake system. It even had new aluminum front hubs.
The universal pedal system was really nice. It could be mounted either on the firewall or the conventional floor location. The pedal box has a mechanical front/rear brake bias adjustment also.

At the time, several years ago, the Wilwood kit was comparable in price to other complete kits.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 04:36 PM   #10
tubman

I gotta agree with "Pete". I have a set of Wildwoods on the front of my tub, and they have aluminum hubs. Since it's a light car, I used the smallest setup they had and, although I've never weighed it, I'm sure it's a lot lighter than a set of Ford Lockheeds.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 09:54 PM   #11
Ol' Ron

If price is not the issue, then go with the alum hubs abs calapers offered by several venders. However for a street system the speedway system offers several bolt pattersn at a reasonable cost. I use the 73/4 Ford PU master cyl, It was used on the first Ford disk brake vehicle. I've used this system on several Trucks, and it works just fine
G
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #12
itslow

Why not change to the more vehicle appropriate Bendix-type drum brakes? Either the Lincoln-styled ones from Boling Brothers or - if budget is a concern - a more affordable set from an early F1 or F100?

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:59 AM   #13
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
The various disk brake types I have used on many race cars have usually weighed about HALF as much as a conventional drum brake per wheel.
Wilwood and Airheart were probably the lightest. The JFZ's were very light but only single puck on the front.

The last Wilwood 4 wheel kit I bought came with everything needed to convert an early Ford to disks including a mechanical disk parking brake system. It even had new aluminum front hubs.
The universal pedal system was really nice. It could be mounted either on the firewall or the conventional floor location. The pedal box has a mechanical front/rear brake bias adjustment also.

At the time, several years ago, the Wilwood kit was comparable in price to other complete kits.
There was a 2# weight penalty for the disc setup I fabbed for my F-1. (40# vs the 38# for the original drum stuff I removed). There was a 1/8" reduction in track width. And absolutely way better and more consistent stops with the disc.

I'm not a fan of Wilwood. Don't care for their engineering, customer service or leadership. I dealt with them when I was in the industry, at two or three points in my career.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2731_.jpg (55.2 KB, 152 views)
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 10:17 AM   #14
ssffnomad

Kingskid, see you are talking about 47’ brakes.
For our 36’, purchased P&J disc setup through Gary / Krylon32.
No width change, fit & quality top notch.
Good Luck
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 11:05 AM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
There was a 2# weight penalty for the disc setup I fabbed for my F-1. (40# vs the 38# for the original drum stuff I removed). There was a 1/8" reduction in track width. And absolutely way better and more consistent stops with the disc.

I'm not a fan of Wilwood. Don't care for their engineering, customer service or leadership. I dealt with them when I was in the industry, at two or three points in my career.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #16
Stage1gs

The above picture is interesting.. it appears that you used 39?-41 hubs that had the drums on the outside, and put the disc on the back side. Is that what you did? I like the idea.. still learning the hubs.

What studs did you use?
Stage1gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:56 AM   #17
5851a

Wilwood Engineering, Inc. makes no warranties whatsoever, expressed or implied, oral or written, to purchasers. There is no warranty of merchantability made to purchasers. Wilwood Engineering, Inc. further excludes any implied warranty of fitness with respect to racing and equipment, any and all inventory and service.
Phone: (805) 388-1188
Email: [email protected]
Founded Location: Camarillo, CA Found that was odd, but maybe no one offers warranty.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote