Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
rloizzi

Default 40 ford window installation

If anyone is familiar with the proper method for installing a rear side window in a 40 2dr sedan I would greatly appreciate it. I am having trouble getting the new glass in. The original inner panel doesn't seem to have any whole big enough to easily maneuver everything. Is there a trick to it?
rloizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
fortyfords

Default Re: 40 ford window installation

The window is very hard to install and there is only one position to slide it in, there is a screw in the fwd end of the track that has to be removed so the rear roller can go in first. The wind up mechanism has to be down some so the aft end of the glass can be started in at the forward part of the opening at the B pillar. The glass has to be held at a very steep angle of 45 or more degrees and the aft end of the side glass inserted first at this angle. Now this is very tight starting the glass in, slide the glass downward until you can start the first roller in the track, keep positioning the wind up mechanism as you slide in the glass at the steep angle, the glass will start going down and aft until the front roller can be inserted and once all in, then you can put the roller stop screw in. I hope this helps, it does take a lot of patience and slow moving. good luck
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
rloizzi

Thanks for the quick reply. This will help a lot!!
rloizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Labold

Sounds like you need a third hand (or at least a helper if you don't have three hands).
Best of luck.
Labold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
e-tek

With fortyfords description I was able to do the job (well, one side anyways!), so I thought I'd add to this thread with a full explanation and some photos, so the next guy searching for the this operation would have it all:

First, I tried putting the rubber on the glass, then installing them together in the runner:

But that didn't work, so then I put the rubber in the runner, soaped the glass then forcefully slid the two together:

The business end of a rubber mallet made a good pusher:

And once the pieces where mated (ouch!), I greased the tracks:

The stop-arm looked like it could use a rubber stopper, so I put about 5 rubber washers on it:

And finally, removed the stopper screw from the forward runner:

With the one side ready I did the same with the other side glass, but once done -- and sitting up next to each other on the bench -- I found that one glass pane was larger than the other! After some careful measuring of glass and car, I found one was going to fit and the other - not so much.

The smaller one must be for a coupe-style 40Ford - and this is the Standard...but at least I had one side to work with.

Inside the car, I set up lots of padding for my old-man knees and got to work:

Fitting these windows is a BITCH of an operation and only happens one way: starting with the back end and CUSSING throughout! :wtf:

You begin by sliding the aft-end in first, mating the rear-most regulator button with the rear-most runner:

After a lot of jockeying - and with my arms already getting tired - I tipped the front end down and in:

With a LOT of effort, whilst simultaneously moving the window crank back and forth, the regulators arms opening and closing and moving the glass around to try and connect everything together, the two regulator arms finally mated with their runners. After some more jockeying - and much more swearing - and the window actually went up and down - yay! :bowdown:
e-tek is offline   Reply With Quote