Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
ChemistDoug

Default Stuck clutch and metal part in transmission

Hello! Looking for help with my 1927 Model T. I recently took over care for the family Model T which was renovated by my grandfather-in-law in 50s. I am not very mechanically inclined but am learning! The T has been running great (take it out every week) but when I took it out last week I was getting a lot of vibration and the front end was shaking, especially in high gear. Turned around to head back home. When I tried to start after being stopped at a light, car lurched forward and died. Clutch pedal doesn’t seem to be doing anything. It has an electric starter and if I try to start it, no matter what I do with the clutch pedal or handbrake, it starts to roll forward because it seems to be stuck in gear. Got a push because I was in the middle of a major road and was able to start at once moving but had that horrible shake. Some point in there it heard kind of a metal chunking sound-never good! Just pulled the cover off of the transmission and in the filter area under the first panel found this very large piece of metal the bar. Well large for being in a transmission. It’s about an 1 3/4" long and is 5/8” in diameter and feels very solid. It looks like one end has been sheared off. This is definitely not something that I want in my transmission! I don’t have any idea where it came from though so I don’t know what to look at ways to try to repair it. Any ideas or suggestions? Saw something on one forum about a triple gear busing pin? Help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T1.jpg (46.6 KB, 32 views)
ChemistDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:17 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Stuck clutch and metal part in transmission

Is it cylindrical? Could it be a triple gear pin? Is it magnetic?
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:21 AM   #3
redmodelt

Looks like a shared triple gear pin. But if that was the case, in order for it to come loose and escape, it would have to blow out part of the reverse drum and turn sideways or triple gear is also sitting in the transmission some place. Turn the engine if you can and look between the front of the reverse drum and flywheel, there should be 3 triple gears. Best guess, if that is the case, engine has to come out and full transmission rebuild, maybe more depending on the damage. That sucks!!
Old 09-23-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
ChemistDoug

Thank you all so much! I was afraid it might be that. I tis cylindrical and seem to be that pin. Impressed how it worked its way up to the filter area! Quite the adventure!
ChemistDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 11:03 AM   #5
J Franklin

Is it a magnet? The aftermarket screen filters come with a magnet loose on the screen to catch metalic debris.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 03:28 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I wouldn't say that a triple gear pin couldn't end up in the filter tray but it would be interesting to see how one could get up in there. The pins fit deep into the corresponding gear so I would expect to see pieces of gear to be in there if one broke off. There is enough distance between the front drum and flywheel to be able to look at the triple gears and see if there is a failure in there.

It's very common to have a magnet in the filter tray to catch ferrous particles. A lot of metal in there generally indicates something is worn out.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote