Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #21
Bob Bidonde

Default Re: 16" to 19" wheels

The rolling diameter of the stock tire and wheel combinations for 16", 17" 18" and 19" wheels are about the same, so there is no advantage / disadvantage to the engine rpm while driving.

The 16", 17" and 18" wheels with stock size tires give a much smoother ride than the stock 19" and 21" wheels because of the wider tires and larger tire sidewall height.

I run 18" (1932) wheels on my Coupe, and the improvement in ride smoothness is dramatically better. The 18" wheels also look better than the 16" and 17" wheels. Steering effort is higher with the later year wheels, so use a shortened Pittman arm.

Another excellent feature of the later Ford wire wheels is that the hub caps are readily removable, so wheel balancing is easy on modern balancing equipment

For you folks with Maroon cars, the 1932 18" wheels with the stock 1932 cream color is a spectacular combination.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #22
rocket1

I ran 16 inch bias ply years ago,on my 29 ccpu,found steering a little harder,I believe the rims were 35 ford,also 50 merc 15 inch rims will fit.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #23
Brother Hesekiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
The rolling diameter of the stock tire and wheel combinations for 16", 17" 18" and 19" wheels are about the same, so there is no advantage / disadvantage to the engine rpm while driving.
That is simply untrue. All you need to do is visit my A's Web page and get a visual on this.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #24
RichardW

You have both sets of wheels and tires? Then you are in a better position than I am to be able to judge the difference. Go out for a drive with various road conditions, note how it feels, switch tires and do it again and report back to us.
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #25
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowes View Post
Glenn above says that radials in 19 inch are available but where. I have been looking and cannot find them, and what size 19's do you recommend.
Coker sells an Excelsior Stahl Sport radial in 19 inch sizes. I know of one A with them, it drives really well, corners and stops great. at this point they have about 15K on them with lots of tread left. They're not cheap, but he figured of they go 30K miles the cost per mile will be roughly the same as bias tires, which last about 12-14K

https://www.cokertire.com/tires/bran...rt-radial.html
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 05:51 PM   #26
George Miller

When I was in the garage today I check my 16" tires on my 30 truck and a new 19" on a wheel. The 19" was 95" around the tire. The 16" was 89 1/2 around the tire. So this means ever time the tire goes around the 19" goes 5 1/2 " inches more. So to me that is not about the same for both sizes.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #27
48thames

Thanks for all the replies. I think that I will check out the 19" wheels and tires and if all looks good, I will put them on to see if there is a big difference in handling. I assume that the lug nuts will fit either size wheel.
48thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #28
Purdy Swoft

I've always prefered original wheels on an original car. Wheels & tires that don't have the same height as original will have a gear ratio changing effect. When 600 16 tires are used, RPMs will increase and top speed will be reduced.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #29
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48thames View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I think that I will check out the 19" wheels and tires and if all looks good, I will put them on to see if there is a big difference in handling. I assume that the lug nuts will fit either size wheel.
Lug nuts will fit either wheel. Both will bolt onto your mechanical brake drums. If you have converted to hydraulics you will need an adapter.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #30
48thames

The car has juice brakes, so I hope that there is adapters on there. The 16" wheels were on it when I bought the car.
48thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #31
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
The car has juice brakes, so I hope that there is adapters on there. The 16" wheels were on it when I bought the car.
They are frequently left off. Here is what they are and why they are needed: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t.../#post-8330045 Be sure to check the next time you have a wheel off.

Charlie Stephens
Old 12-09-2014, 03:53 AM   #32
inex01

Quote:
My 30 tudor has a set of 16" wheels and firestone tires, but he also tossed in a good set of stock 19" wheels with firestones. If I switch to the 19" will I notice a big difference in the ride or steering? Any advantage to running either size?
Thanks.
This past summer I installed Excelsior 500R19 blackwall on my 31 Slant Window sedan and what a Hugh difference in the driving characteristics. I also have a 31 Roadster (Garage Queen) with year old bias ply tires and when I drive that car it rides softer but grabs every crack in the road, I feel much more comfortable with the radials. This car is my daily driver, so far this year have logged on over 10K so this old bucket of bolts is no way a garage queen! and with much use I really do know the difference.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #33
jimalabam

re. George Miller's post and see photo. Picture of the PU in the middle of the 19's, tells the tale...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #34
Mitch//pa
BANNED

go to http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-calculator/

to compare two tire sizes for specs incld rolling radius. many modern truck spares have a smaller rim size put with a higher profile tire to match the others. the same idea goes with a mini spare to provide equal rolling radius...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:31 PM   #35
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
When I said that the lug nuts will fit either wheel in an earlier post I should have cautioned that if you are using the Model A lug nuts (with the enclosed acorn top) you need to be sure the lug bolts on the hydraulic brake drums are not too long and the nuts bottom on the on the lug bolt before they secure the wheel.

Charlie Stephens