Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
RcT

Default More leg room, please...

I have a '29 special coupe and I'm really cramped with my six foot frame. I read the bulletins about reversing the tabs at the back of the seat and this has already been done. I would really like the seat back another 1-1/2" and I can alter the package tray, no problem. There's plenty of side upholstery, so that will be fine. The only way I can see to do it is to grind out all the rivets holding the seat support, moving it toward the trunk, then make a filler for the gap at the front of the seat. Have any of you ever attempted this, or is there an easier way? I will not consider having my legs shortened...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Barry B./ Ma.

Default Re: More leg room, please...

Maybe you have too much padding in the seat. I'm 6-2 and have enough leg room in my Special coupe. The backrest is against the package shelf. My old 31 town sedan had less room than the coupe with the seat all the way back.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
700rpm

I'd second Barry's suggestion. I had a '29 standard coupe with home-made upholstery in it, and at 6'3" I could barely operate the pedals or get in and out. I bought a new kit from L-B and voila! —lots of room. Well, not lots, but certainly adequate and much more functional.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
RcT

Thank you, gentlemen, that sounds like a much easier fix. Sometimes we can't see the obvious...
Old 07-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #5
RcT

Just a follow up... I t looking through all the past postings about legroom and found one that not only gave the proper measurements in thickness for the seat back, (5" on top, 7"on the bottom), but also referred to the strings restraining the coils. I pulled the seat back from the coupe yesterday. The top thickness was about 7 1/2" and the bottom was almost 9". I completely dismantled the cushion and found the original coil springs, no strings on any of the coils, and a very generous amount of padding. My first move was to measure all the 9 springs in each horizontal row and take an average. then I subtracted 2" from each row and now I'm going to make temporary hooks from wire coat hangers to compress the springs evenly and tie them off, with a drop of glue on each knot in the strings. Next I'm reducing some of the cotton padding and hopefully I will pick up a couple of inches and much more legroom. Thanks again, guys, for your help.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

RcT, some people use plastic wire ties to shorten the seat springs. If you use string, be sure to use a heavy nylon string or some such that will last the life of the upholstery. I wish someone would reproduce the original spring coverings (that wire mesh that resembles flattened interwoven springs ).
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
RcT

Thank you, Tom, yes I am using nylon string, about as thick as coat hanger wire, and putting a drop of crazy glue on every knot to keep them from slipping. Tedious, but a good past time while recovering from some body repair work. On me, not the A...
Old 07-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #8
RcT

Further update. I've been messing with this seat back all week, and tried to reduce the cotton padding and ended up with a lumpy mess. I took it all apart once again and went to a fabric store and bought 3/4" thick quilt batting, enough to double it up on thickness. Nice and uniform in thickness. I just installed the finished seat and it is perfect.
Another thing: I went on ebay and looked at the 28-29 coupes for sale and looked at the pictures of the interiors. The bottom of the seat back lined up perfectly with the door welting at the rear jamb. I now fit fine. Thank you again to all who offered their help.