Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
general gow

Default General Gow Goes to Bonneville, and the HAMB Drags, and Nashville, and...

so, i am not going to call this a trip of a lifetime, because that would imply that i will be satisfied to make this trip, or trips like it, only once in my life. and i have a hard time believing that to be true. but, it certainly is an incredible adventure in the making, so i thought i'd share.

when my wife and i got married last summer, we couldn't really take the time off to do a proper honeymoon. and lucky guy that i am, a honeymoon that included bonneville and the hamb drags was right up becky's alley. so we started planning then to take nearly 3 weeks off in august 2010, and take the 54 to infinity and beyond, or something.

anyway, here we are at t-6 days and i am going insane. my pal nosurf suggested i start a road trip thread to calm my nerves. but i think he knew it would only make things worse...

the 54 has been a great car, but i wanted to make sure it was ready for 6,000+ miles, and started going through it. i replaced a shock, got the thing in the air and put a wrench on nearly every nut and bolt in the suspension systems. i installed seatbelts, and got a brand new tire mounted on the spare. i installed tunes. but i am not gonna show pics of that, because i hid it in the glove box... and i gave it a nice buff and wax and wash and shined the 56 year old paint up as good as can be.

anyway, i'll update this from the road, but here are a few shots of the prep work to get you in the mood.

our trip will take us from boston-ish to niagara falls, across onatrio and michigan into chicago, then along i80 to omaha, or lincoln. then to cheyenne or laramie, then to wendover. after wendover, we're headed to nosurf's in kansas via denver. then on to the hamb drags. after the drags, we'll dip down through arkansas into memphis, nashville, and on to skyline drive in virginia, before heading home. i am stoked beyond belief and i can't think about anything else right now.

new spare:

seatbelts to keep becky safe:

all shined up and ready to go:

Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Frank The Plumber

Default Re: General Gow Goes to Bonneville, and the HAMB Drags, and Nashville, and...

Becky looks just as happy on the Ford Barn.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
general gow

Default Re: General Gow Goes to Bonneville, and the HAMB Drags, and Nashville, and...

she's getting sick of waiting in that seat for Sunday to come, though.
general gow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
Frank The Plumber

She's going to get smile cramps, the best part of any trip is the being excited about going before it starts, have fun.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
Ole Don

There are so many neat things to see along Interstate 80 books have been written about it. Take your time, enjoy the ride. I have made the trip from the Mississippi River to the salt flats 25 times, and have not seen it all yet. You appear to be younger when you are starting, you have more time. Be safe, enjoy.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
parklane

Ya, have fun. Just got back from going to the West coast with 4 other guys with street rods. I was the tail gunner, picking up peices that fell off thier cars Had a blast.

BTW we went just under 6000 miles
parklane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
frank long island

have a safe trip
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #8
Bob 37

That sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. Wish I was going. I hope you guys have a fun, and most of all, safe trip.
Bob
Bob 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #9
Ray Parson

if you have any thing that dont go right when your in mich call me 810 516 0062 maby i can help have a safe trip i will be on I80 starting 22nd on my way to get my 32 in CO
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
daddy_o's_diner

Good luck on the trip!

Always wanted to take a long roadtrip in and old car but work and family have always prevented me from doing so. One more reason to look forward to retirement, I guess.

Have a safe one and keep us posted.

Last edited by daddy_o's_diner; 08-06-2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: spelling
daddy_o's_diner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #11
hbleadsled

General Gow, nice car, you and your wife will love it ,stop along the way,and lots photo's and have fun. Harold central coast Ca.
hbleadsled is offline   Reply With Quote