Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
johndduvall

Default Brake Adjusting Wedge Hard to Turn CCW

I searched the site but couldn't find the problem I'm having. I installed all new front brake shoes and operating components. This includes new Adjusting Wedges and identical length Shafts. Whenever I adjust the brakes so the drum begins to drag, it is very difficult to turn the Adjusting Wedge CCW. The Adjusting Wedge turns smoothly in the CW direction. The Adjusting Wedges were greased and the Adjusting Shafts are installed correctly. Any help is appreciated.

John D.
johndduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:14 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Brake Adjusting Wedge Hard to Turn CCW

It sounds like the adjusting wedges are digging in when turning in the CCW direction. Without being there in person it is hard to come up with an analysis. You will have to do some detective work. Try taking the return springs off to see if that changes things. You are going to have to take the drums off to see what is going on and maybe take things back apart.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:21 AM   #3
johndduvall

I may have to reinstall the old ones that are worn in. Also hoping the new wedges will wear enough to make it easier to turn.

Thanks,

John D.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:30 PM   #4
GPierce

I had the same problem with new wedges. I went back to old ones.

Last edited by GPierce; 01-21-2023 at 11:31 AM.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:35 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

Years ago, a friend was trying to restore his 1930 Coupe. His father worked in a machine shop, so the friend had him sharpen the edges on the brake adjusting shafts to a point because he thought the edges looked worn. Well, of course, when he assembled the backing plates and brake shoes to the front axle and attempted to adjust the shoes via the wedges - no go! By machining those edges to a sharp point, he had ruined them so that they could not roll over the brake adjusting wedge "ridges". Removing the freshly-machined shafts and replacing them with ones with more of a rounded edge, the brakes could be adjusted. Yet another painful lesson learned.
Not to jump on the band wagon here, but my own experience jives with the first three posters. Replace the brake adjusting shafts, making sure the edges that come in contact with the wedge ridges are not too sharp. Maybe repo shafts are made incorrectly with sharp edges? Or did you sharpen the edges, thinking they were worn? We see a dull edge in our cars and we want to make it sharp. We see a sharp edge and we want to make it dull. 'Must be in our DNA makeup.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 09:00 PM   #6
Y-Blockhead

I read somewhere (Model "A" News?) the original adjusting shaft tapered more toward the clevis end and was thinner in this area. It was suggested this caused brake issues. Something to check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 5.55.06 PM.jpg (8.3 KB, 109 views)
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:37 AM   #7
johndduvall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Years ago, a friend was trying to restore his 1930 Coupe. His father worked in a machine shop, so the friend had him sharpen the edges on the brake adjusting shafts to a point because he thought the edges looked worn. Well, of course, when he assembled the backing plates and brake shoes to the front axle and attempted to adjust the shoes via the wedges - no go! By machining those edges to a sharp point, he had ruined them so that they could not roll over the brake adjusting wedge "ridges". Removing the freshly-machined shafts and replacing them with ones with more of a rounded edge, the brakes could be adjusted. Yet another painful lesson learned.
Not to jump on the band wagon here, but my own experience jives with the first three posters. Replace the brake adjusting shafts, making sure the edges that come in contact with the wedge ridges are not too sharp. Maybe repo shafts are made incorrectly with sharp edges? Or did you sharpen the edges, thinking they were worn? We see a dull edge in our cars and we want to make it sharp. We see a sharp edge and we want to make it dull. 'Must be in our DNA makeup.
Marshall
Everything is new and ordered from Snyder's. No modifications. I oiled the adjuster threads and if that doesn't work, I will reinstall the old ones.
Old 01-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #8
GPierce

I installed mine as delivered. After I had a problem with adjustments I came to the conclusion that, as received, the edges were too sharp.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote