Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-01-2022, 08:04 AM   #1
imacrazy

Default four speed transmission

I just bought a nice 31 S/W with four speed transmission with cable.
Is this cable for overdrive, if so what is the procedure to put it in overdrive?

Thanks
Bill
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
The Master Cylinder

Default Re: four speed transmission

Do you know what make/model of the four speed?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 09:53 AM   #3
Charlie Stephens

How about some photos?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:34 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The T170 RTS TOD transmission is a 3-speed +1 for overdrive. Several outfits were supplying kits for a number of years but they aren't as easy to find now days. No cable on those. If it has a cable then look at the torque tube and see if it has an overdrive box in the drive line. Borg Warner electric overdrives were also available in kit form at one time but not so much now. They use a lockout cable. There may be some Laycock ODs around as well from Volvo cars. They are a lot like the Borg Warner but shaped a bit differently. The Mitchel ODs are usually lever operated and they are still available. They literally look like a box in the torque tube line.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 10:57 PM   #5
daveymc29

One Mitchell I have used to shift by lever on the floor. I changed that to a cable on the shift tower to gain some room around our feet. Mitchell sells the cable and brackets and they work well for me. I have big feet and a roadster, next to imposible to get in and out of for me if the top and side curtains are up, as in when it rains, if that ever happens again in California. Looks out of place because anyone looking into the car will know something is amiss by looking at the shift lever with cable mounts on it, but the two shift leavers don't hide well either. So it is a choice and the sifting operation is to pull or push a handle, whether on the end of a cable or an extra shift lever.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 11:58 PM   #6
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
One Mitchell I have used to shift by lever on the floor. I changed that to a cable on the shift tower to gain some room around our feet. Mitchell sells the cable and brackets and they work well for me. I have big feet and a roadster, next to imposible to get in and out of for me if the top and side curtains are up, as in when it rains, if that ever happens again in California. Looks out of place because anyone looking into the car will know something is amiss by looking at the shift lever with cable mounts on it, but the two shift leavers don't hide well either. So it is a choice and the sifting operation is to pull or push a handle, whether on the end of a cable or an extra shift lever.
That's the reason I went with the RTS 4+1 trans. With the stock "A" shifter on it looks stock in the cab (CCPU) ample leg room only change is the shifter is about 1.5 inches rearward. No extra levers or handles but....the Mitchel o/d units are nice
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:29 PM   #7
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
That's the reason I went with the RTS 4+1 trans. With the stock "A" shifter on it looks stock in the cab (CCPU) ample leg room only change is the shifter is about 1.5 inches rearward. No extra levers or handles but....the Mitchel o/d units are nice
x2.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
Ray in La Mesa

I went with the cable shifter but it & the brackets were too bulky on the gear shift for me so I mounted it on the steering column using an extra gas tank bracket & the big end of an A connecting rod, even left the dipper on. Painted black it just disappears.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote