Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
Colonel

Default Starved for gas

I have read a couple hundred postings regarding cars that run well for a while and then miss, loose power, backfire and eventually shutdown. Today that happened to me. The weather was great, 80F. The new engine has about 500 miles on it and always ran well until today. When I looked at the fuel system while waiting for things to cool down, I noticed a lot of bubbling at the top of the glass bowl on the firewall. There appeared to be a large air bubble in the glass bowl at the top as well. I presume this was causing erratic performance of the carb. What is causing the bubbling in the gauge with the motor turned off, engine compartment not very hot and a new tank of gas. I will check the fuel lines, valve, etc... The carb was just rebuilt, the fuel tank removed and coated and there is a pencil screen in the valve and a disk screen in the top of the glass bowl. I am leaning to a fuel or cap venting problem. I suspect a lot of ethanol in the gas as well. Thoughts?
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:33 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Starved for gas

Were you getting bubbling in the gas gauge? That would be really odd. I don't think all the gas in the tank could get that hot. Bubbling in the glass filter could be vapor lock which certainly would make you engine miss behave.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Ethanol crap gas is terrible for boiling without a lot of heat, and I think even the good gas without corn crap boils much easier than the good gas of the 60's and 70's. I never had a vapor lock problem with my 1950 Studebaker in the late 60's and early 70's, even in the Texas desert of El Paso. Today even in Minnesota the gas boils at stops and causes starting problems. My Model A seems to do OK as long as I use the good gas, but the ethanol gives problems as soon as the temp hits the upper 70's.

So far the best I can do is use the good gas and add 4 ounces of MMO to each 10 gallons.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Since someone was just in the carb, it could be the float sticking in the up position. If it happens again, tap on the bowl to dislodge it.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
MAG

In Texas we have been dealing with this problem since Ethanol gasoline was mandated. When the ambient temp. reaches about 80 degrees the problem occurs. Bubbles can be seen in the fuel bowl when the problem is present. Temp. below that, no problem. We have tried every additive and mixture on the market with no success. I will add, on a given day a car may not have the problem but on the next day it does.
As Tom W. says, if you can buy gasoline without Ethanol the problem will go away.