Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
bobpo

Exclamation Model A DISPLAY

Being new to the Model A hobby I've noticed that the fellas who show off the Model A's rarely have a display around them.

Having started showing custom cars back in the late 50's I always had some sort of Display relating to my car. In fact sometimes I created custom displays for other cars and even took several awards for the displays alone. I've always had a lot of fun building a display and it doesn't take that much to do one either..

Since I'm just finishing my Coupe, I'll be entering it in several Car Shows this coming summer and I think there's a lot of potential for a great display with it.....

Or how about some photos of Model A displays you might have created or seen...?

P.S. how do I get rid of that little "caution" symbol?

Last edited by bobpo; 12-05-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: errors
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Model A DISPLAY

John Madden was once asked what he thought about the half-time entertainment at football games. He replied, "I thought the game was the entertainment." I think that's the general attitude about showing our cars: they are the show.

PS: Go to Advance editing. Sometimes (not always) you can change the topic.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 12-05-2011 at 07:28 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
bobpo

Thanks
Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Dusty

This is my display, can't go wrong with a good display!
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
[email protected]

Smile Re: Model A DISPLAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Now that is what I call hitting on all four cylinders !!!!!
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Dusty

Yea, I like a good four banger
Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

When I display my car I have my tools out, I have a tripod with a framed display of coins, stamps, drivers license etc. In the car I have a fedora and full size Thompson air gun.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
Having started showing custom cars back in the late 50's I always had some sort of Display relating to my car. In fact sometimes I created custom displays for other cars and even took several awards for the displays alone. I've always had a lot of fun building a display and it doesn't take that much to do one either..

Going off-topic here a bit, back in the late 70's and through the early 80's I also built & toured show cars for people who competed on the Winston International Show Car Association show circuit during the winter months. I did this for 6 or 7 years until I finally got tired of living in a hotel for 20 weeks out of the year traveling around the country.

Below is a car I assembled & toured for a businessman out of Houston where it won numerous awards all over the country including many Best Display and Best Sign awards. I also toured custom bikes with this car including one for Cory Ness (Arlan Ness' son) that we built displays for. I suppose that is why today I just don't care for an "Easter Egg" (--something you look at that is pretty but you can't do anything else with it! ) ...therefore I am a fanatic about detail but want everything to function as good as it looks. I said all that to say that IMHO, I feel that most 'displays' detract from the vehicle itself and as such I don't like to use them. For example, at the MARC meet in French Lick, the fine-point cars were behind Stanchions & Ropes to keep the crowd away from the cars during viewing yet at San Diego the cars were in an open setting without any crowd barriers. Many favorable comments were heard by attendees regarding this topic at SD. IMO both organizers did a fantastic job at planning each of those venues so it was just a preference call.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Godfather_5.jpg (57.2 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg Godfather_4.jpg (28.5 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg Godfather_7.jpg (32.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Godfather-600x399.jpg (55.4 KB, 121 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #9
JBR

JMHO, it's a nice looking car. The attention to detail is amazing, as is the paint, but what good is it? It doesn't appear to be street legal, so you can't drive it. I rather doubt that you would race it because of the amount of money tied up in it. As far as I can see, the only thing you can do with it is have you friends over to look at it and say, "I spent XXX,XXX.00 dollars having it built."
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Deluxe Delivery

This was my first snowing of the still unrubbed out DD in September, exactly 80 years to the month from it's manufacture. I displayed it with a nice porcelain Ford sign, a Ford battery sign, my tools displayed in an old seed box, a license plate, and a little framed story about the truck. Mostly went un-noticed as the muscle and rods got all the attention, but satisfying for me. Most people just don't seem to understand un-rodded vehicles around here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunbeam 071.jpg (113.5 KB, 103 views)
Deluxe Delivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

DD: That's a nice display.
Brent: Nice display also, I remember going to shows in the "day" and some displays must have cost almost as much as the displayed vehicle.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Talking Re: Model A DISPLAY

Quote:
Whoa!!! Your car is green with envy, and so am I.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #13
CarlG

And WV is sooooooooooooo far away!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #14
1930artdeco

My car carries around her own display on her radiator apparently. People were more interested in the bugs that were mashed into the rad than the car at times.

Mike
Old 12-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Rusty Homestead Fl

The item that I like best in any display is a photo album of when the car was first aquired (in a barn, field, junk yard, etc.) to it's present condition. The step by step restoration process captured in pictures is something most observers wonder over. I can flip pages from cover to cover and appreciate the effort in everyone's build.
Rusty Homestead Fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #16
David Conwill

Speaking as a spectator rather than an exhibitor, I will chime in and say I hate displays. The best car shows are the ones where the cars are in motion (think Old Car Festival), but if I’m looking at cars on static display, I want to be able to see their details (from a respectful distance, of course). Stuffed animals, crybabies, period ephemera, photo albums, plaques, and (worst of all) trophies from other events just obscure and distract from the car.

The one defense I’ve heard of displays is that it does allow non-car people to have a bit of fun attending car shows (often this is the wife of the owner), and if that’s the case, I say more power to you. For my part, though, I prefer the cars unadorned so I can see them.

-Dave
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #17
redmodelt

While I don't put my car on display much (except when I am driving or parked at the store ) I do want to make up a placard with some information about when where and what.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

At times I have used a simple sign explaining the year, color etc, but those were supplied by the show(Concours type shows).

I seldom display a car at shows anymore but when I do I don't have any sign or display. What cracks me up is some people will display a photo of the car in front of the car. What the hell is the point of that? LOL

Dave- Those crybaby dolls are asinine! Who ever invented it sure has sold alot of them but they look dumb. Not unlike those visors with the silver spiked hair sticking out of the top that are all the rage now.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Conwill View Post
(worst of all) trophies from other events just obscure and distract from the car.

The one defense I’ve heard of displays is that it does allow non-car people to have a bit of fun attending car shows (often this is the wife of the owner), and if that’s the case, I say more power to you. For my part, though, I prefer the cars unadorned so I can see them.

-Dave
I agree with you on the trophies!!! and I have seen the wives look at the stuff in my displays while the husband looks at the car.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
JMHO, it's a nice looking car. The attention to detail is amazing, as is the paint, but what good is it? It doesn't appear to be street legal, so you can't drive it. I rather doubt that you would race it because of the amount of money tied up in it. As far as I can see, the only thing you can do with it is have you friends over to look at it and say, "I spent XXX,XXX.00 dollars having it built."
You are correct in that it was built to a point where all it really was is an "Easter Egg". My definition of an Easter Egg is something you look at but can't do anything with. That IMO was what this car was turned into during it latter years, ....however it was the highest finishing Ford Show Car (Ford powered/Ford bodied) in the country for a couple years in a row which for that, Ford awarded a brand new Ford Mustang to the owner for each of those years (one was a red SVO and a black GT), plus it won other cash money & contingencies for the owner. Yeah, it probably won $100k in cash & prizes and he probably spent $150k doing it, but he did it for the sport of doing it and not the money.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #21
gweilbaker

This dude has is right;

gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #22
HillbillyTim

Quote:
How 'bout them 'eers!

Tim
HillbillyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #23
John Butts in CT

Print the proper version of the "New Car Instructions" sheet for your car on heavy stock paper and post it on the inside of your windshield (I add a replicated bill of sale for my car, delivered "as it stands" with all accessories, gas, oil, fifth tire and tube, delivery, taxes, etc., etc.) and enjoy the questions and conversations that ensue.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
John Duden

Quote:
Yea, I like a good four banger
You guys are nuts
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #25
Bruce Adams

I generally display my original tool set on a felt board/framed, a description of the Model A history, price, engine, brakes, and such, and a few other items. I can provide you my sheet describing the Model A, if you want to email [email protected]

The large display board is a car in Florida I see during FORDS AND FRIENDS each January.
Replica Tommy Guns are a lot of fun, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011January26Florida106.jpg (98.9 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 2011January26Florida111.jpg (96.5 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 2011January26Florida110.jpg (95.4 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20090523_2569.jpg (86.0 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (62.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2673.JPG (91.3 KB, 61 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #26
Fred K-OR

I went to a few local small shows here in our local area last summer. Some of these shows do not allow any displays. Others will allow anything you may want.

During this last summer, I managed to get a few awards for my 29 huckster. But the only display is showing some pictures of the process I went through to restore it.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #27
bobpo

Boy am I glad I brought this subject up. Whew.....!

Seriously over the years it's been my observation that a lot of spectators don't know much about the cars they're looking at. So when they have a Sign on a Pedestal or Easel or whatever, they can and quite often do stop to view/read information about the car. I too, like to read about another guy's car.

But like I mentioned earlier, I was into Displays "Back in the Day" as they say. I feel a lot can be said for the way a Show Car is presented. It all goes to the owner's personal pride in his car. I've seen too many fellas with their lawn chairs sitting in back of their cars and not out there talking to those who came to see the "Show Cars". I personally prefer to see a display ............... Whew....!! Glad I got that off my chest.....

Look at it this way, showing off your Model A is nothing but an old fella's
"SHOW & TELL"
Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #28
Fred K-OR

'Look at it this way, showing off your Model A is nothing but an old fella's

"SHOW & TELL" '

You are correct about this!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 PM   #29
eagle

I LOVE to get the history behind and around an old item. It adds a lot. Many people at a show really don't know anything about what they are looking at, a nice display or story w/pics can add depth for those who will inevitably ask "which came first, the A or the T"
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
[email protected]

Quote:
You are right I do see the typical man in the lawn chair behind the show car. But he is smiling so much that I don't think he is thinking too much about Model A's.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #31
Clydes 31 P/U

I don't really "make" a display I have a set of old pot flares and a old fire extinguisher fastened on my side boards. Then in the cab just lay some old things out as if I just climbed out and left them in the truck. I do the same in the bed..... and old tool box with old carpenters tools or farriers tools the way it could have looked 80 yrs ago. I also hide the GPS and cell ruins the whole concept, still gotta say Dusty's would be a bigger draw!!!!!!
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #32
bobpo

Now that's exactly what I'm talking about. It doesn't have to be a Hollywood Type of display. Just something that can help these young'ns understand and enjoy why we are in this Model A thing in the "first place". Oops, pardon the Pun......................
And you're right, definitely hide the GPS...LOL

P.S. I love the look on that guys face in back of the cheerleaders. I think most of us can identify. Now "That's a Display" any Grandpa can be proud of.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clydes 31 P/U View Post
I don't really "make" a display I have a set of old pot flares and a old fire extinguisher fastened on my side boards. Then in the cab just lay some old things out as if I just climbed out and left them in the truck. I do the same in the bed..... and old tool box with old carpenters tools or farriers tools the way it could have looked 80 yrs ago. I also hide the GPS and cell ruins the whole concept, still gotta say Dusty's would be a bigger draw!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #33
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
Now that's exactly what I'm talking about. It doesn't have to be a Hollywood Type of display. Just something that can help these young'ns understand and enjoy why we are in this Model A thing in the "first place". Oops, pardon the Pun......................
And you're right, definitely hide the GPS...LOL

P.S. I love the look on that guys face in back of the cheerleaders. I think most of us can identify. Now "That's a Display" any Grandpa can be proud of.............

Hey, that guy is me and my mind was was completely on the Model A. I was trying to checkout the fine lines on the fenders when these girls obstructed my view....REALLY

dusty
Old 12-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #34
Special Coupe Frank

Some folks have very nice display boards, with facts about the car, original advertising media, bill of sale, magazine articles featuring the car, restoration photos, etc.

I like seeing fact-sheets about the vehicle and its history, particularly if the vehicle is something out of the ordinary...

That said, I don't care for displays / boards that make it difficult to see the car...

The other side is that it's a lot more stuff to lug around, and if you have a coupe or a roadster, space is already at a premium...

I keep meaning to do some display material for my '28 Special Coupe, and my '61 Rambler American convertible, and trick-out my '41 De Soto for driving during the Blackout (per a 1941 Popular Mechanics article) but I never seem to get around to it...

The "time-out kiddo" dolls mostly seem to be limited to the hot-rod cruises around here...

Like many here, I feel the "best" display, is the vehicle operating under its own power, doing what it was built to do !

Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #35
BILL WILLIAMSON

I only put a small sign in the quarter wndow that says,

YES, YOU CAN TOUCH MY CAR.

AND IF YOU EVER "MADE OUT" IN A MODEL A, SIT IN IT, AND SEE IF YOU CAN REMEMBER HER NAME.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #36
glenn in camino

When I show my cars I always display the original tools and a placard in the windshield with information about the car, color, original price, engine, who restored it, me, etc.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #37
Mikeinnj

I used to do shows but stopped when they started making owners pay to enter their cars in the show...the show making money off you, showing your car, to the paying public..... Absurd.

Also didn't like it when I turned my back for a few minutes and then saw a lady giving rides to her kids by sliding them down the front fenders of my car onto the running boards, with the copper rivets in the kids jeans leaving skid marks in my paint job..... Love driving the car and doing parades, but no more sitting in the hot sun trying to educate stupid people.
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #38
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
I used to do shows but stopped when they started making owners pay to enter their cars in the show...the show making money off you, showing your car, to the paying public..... Absurd.

I used to think the same thing but then after seeing where the money goes to I changed my mind. Clubs need insurance to allow the public to see the cars, Clubs gain members and as such bring more of these cars back to life. Clubs can use the money to purchase the specialty tools needed to maintain the cars of their members. Charitable organizations use the money to help others, clubs donate monies as well. On and on it goes.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #39
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31

when i finish my tudor, I hope to have a large poster display of the before and after with some old worn parts and some ford era "assesorys" on display.
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #40
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I used to think the same thing but then after seeing where the money goes to I changed my mind. Clubs need insurance to allow the public to see the cars, Clubs gain members and as such bring more of these cars back to life. Clubs can use the money to purchase the specialty tools needed to maintain the cars of their members. Charitable organizations use the money to help others, clubs donate monies as well. On and on it goes.

I completely agree, it seems at least a good part of the money does go to some kind of charity and it is the most fun I can have for $10.00

Having said that if I had a $150.00 I know a way to have much more fun but that's another story
Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 AM   #41
WTSHNN

I rarely go to shows and when I do, about the only display I have is when someone asks me to crank start the engine. I do keep a photo album of the restoration process for those who ask.
-Tim
WTSHNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #42
gweilbaker

Like Tim mentioned about the photo album, they are especially interesting to see the transformation of some these cars. Frankly, I will look at an album over a display. I think it's because I admire the work and skill required to bring the car to a show.
GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:18 AM   #43
BRENT in 10-uh-C

While confessions here are good for the soul , I must confess what I hate worse than anything is to be walking through a static show when the owner of a car is standing there just waiting on your eyes to lock onto his where he will immediately walk up and start the conversation telling you all about his car. Jeez, this absolutely just wears me out!! Yeah, I know, --"Father forgive me...."

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 12-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #44
Tudor Tooter

"This car is like my wife, you can look but DON'T TOUCH!!"

I hate those signs! :P
Tudor Tooter is offline   Reply With Quote