Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
tomkc1

Default 34 Ford & Florida Summer Storage?

Soon I'll be heading north for a few months leaving my beloved original (mohair uphol) 1934 Ford 4 door to spend its first summer in my Florida garage. I'm not sure if I should prepare it (mostly the interior) in any special way regarding the weather here.

It will be in my garage safe from weather ect but I don't know what to do about possible critters especially bugs. When it spent its winters up north I would either use moth balls or dryer sheets but I'm looking for barners who have some suggestions about a completely different environment.

I'll be away for about 5 months.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: 34 Ford & Florida Summer Storage?

tomkc1 ........................
I've stored my cars in both W.Va. and Fla. and I have not come up with any special concerns about Fla. If your storage area is venilated, you will do fine.
Fla. is the "critter" capitol of the world, but your dryer sheets will probably take care of that.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
tomkc1

Thanks, Mike. We're relatively close to each other since I'm in Astor about 30 miles west of you on SR 40 so the weather conditions are pretty much the same.

The garage is well ventilated. I had wondered whether or not I might need a dehumidifier in the garage but dehumidifiers and vents probably work counter to each other.

Also, full tank of gas or close to empty?
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
jerry/tx

I've found Irish spring soap bars work on mice and moth balls work on bugs . I cut the soap bars in half so they go farther . Put some marine stabill in gas tank and drive it around to shake it up . A dehumidifier is an air conditioner . If vented it would never cut off . I leave the a/c on im my garage in summer to keep moisture down
jerry/tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Jay in Mass

I was told that Irish Spring soap was supposed to keep the mice away also. I shaved it up into pieces and put it into a plastic dish. They ate the soap and got into the trunk and ate through an unopened bar also. They must be hungry up here in Mass. The Irish spring soap does make the car smell nice though.
I hope that someone comes up with a foolproof idea.
Jay in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
FL&WVMIKE

tomkc1 .........................
We had a speaker, once, at our local V8 Chapter Meeting, who told of the evils of ethonal gas. One of the worst things that you can do is leave your car with a full tank. It will seperate, with all the bad stuff going to the bottom. Unlike non-ethonal gas, it is best to have an empty tank.
Let me know when you come back, so you can come to our chapter meeting. We meet on the second Saturday of each month.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote