Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Conrad Rossi

Lightbulb Red Top Optima 6V Battery for $130

All,

Just wanted to let you know that the Optima trailer at car shows, in this case Good Guys, Scottsdale, AZ, sells batteries at high discounted prices when compared to conventional retailers. I paid $130 for a 6V Red Top battery -final- including taxes, invoice, etc. The cheapest that I could get them at a brick and mortar retailer was $213.

Amazon has them listed for $143 with free shipping. However, keep in mind that optima does not honor the three year warranty since it is not purchased from a distributor, so you are on your own if it dies.

The down side was that I had to carry that 18lb baby around...

I hope it helps.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Red Top Optima 6V Battery for $130

$130 is a good price. I caught an on line sale a few years ago and paid $125 for mine. I want to order another one now and the best price I can find is $143.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
G.M.

These batteries are date coded at the time they are manufactured and I believe they will honor the warrantee. They know they have an internal connection problem and expect a certain amount of failures. This is why they changed from a long prorated to a 100% 3 year full replacement warrantee. G.M.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Displayman

AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE START this new battery weighs about 15 lbs. I don't know cost yet.
Lithionics Battery combines its modular lithium-ion automated assembly design with advanced Battery Management Systems (BMS) electronics to provide the widest range of automotive and powersports batteries available worldwide. Our NEVER-DIE™ system, internal to the battery case, places an unused vehicle battery into 'sleep mode', with a reserve energy preserved sufficient to provide 2 to 3 restarts after the battery is reactivated. We offer various remote-controlled user interfaces to 'wake' the battery up.

As a result of our products' thermal management engineering, Lithionic's batteries operate at higher temperatures than typical Lithium-Ion batteries. This makes our batteries durable and reliable – a necessity in automotive power. That means that our batteries are both high energy for cranking/starting and stronger for reserve energy power - enabling our batteries to give automobiles stronger engine spark and heightened electronics performance. Our resistance to harmful 'voltage sag' enable auto makers to employ engine start-stop methods without resorting to heavy AGM batteries weighing up to 80 pounds.

Lithionics Battery combines power, cycle life and safety to make our products suitable for a variety of automotive applications.

Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
hotcoupe

$130.00 is a good price, but for just $1.95 more they delivered it to my house! i bought it from Summit racing.
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Conrad Rossi

Good to know that there is an alternative to Optima. Now the usual questions, how much, where to buy, warranty, do they come in 6v? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displayman View Post
AUTOMOTIVE ENGINE START this new battery weighs about 15 lbs. I don't know cost yet.
Lithionics Battery combines its modular lithium-ion automated assembly design with advanced Battery Management Systems (BMS) electronics to provide the widest range of automotive and powersports batteries available worldwide. Our NEVER-DIE™ system, internal to the battery case, places an unused vehicle battery into 'sleep mode', with a reserve energy preserved sufficient to provide 2 to 3 restarts after the battery is reactivated. We offer various remote-controlled user interfaces to 'wake' the battery up.

As a result of our products' thermal management engineering, Lithionic's batteries operate at higher temperatures than typical Lithium-Ion batteries. This makes our batteries durable and reliable – a necessity in automotive power. That means that our batteries are both high energy for cranking/starting and stronger for reserve energy power - enabling our batteries to give automobiles stronger engine spark and heightened electronics performance. Our resistance to harmful 'voltage sag' enable auto makers to employ engine start-stop methods without resorting to heavy AGM batteries weighing up to 80 pounds.

Lithionics Battery combines power, cycle life and safety to make our products suitable for a variety of automotive applications.

I think these are all 12 volt batteries. Battery technology is getting better and better but they are probably not going to invest in 6 volt like Optima does,wish they would.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Conrad Rossi

I checked summit yesterday but no free shipping so the cost came to 143.90. Definitely a good price and no need to chase down an Optima promo truck... and carry it around --but I will be using it this evening
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
$130.00 is a good price, but for just $1.95 more they delivered it to my house! i bought it from Summit racing.
Yep, I got mine from Summit too.

Does the Optima need a special charger or can a regular 6v charger be used?

TM
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Yep, I got mine from Summit too.

Does the Optima need a special charger or can a regular 6v charger be used?

TM
I've used a regular (old) charger on a 6V Optima for 10 years with no problems, but some newer chargers have upgraded/special circuity for the AGM batteries.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Conrad Rossi

I asked them if my DieHard charger and engine starter will work and the answer was yes. Their only concern was that the charger supplied 6v and did not charge the battery for more than 4hrs.