Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default 429/C6 into 49 Ford

I have a 49 Ford and have the opportunity to get a 69 429 Thunder Jet with C6 tranny out of a T-bird. Anybody ever done a swap like this? Any help would be appreciated. I can get the diff from the Bird,too but it's probably way to wide to go under the 49. Thanks again. Mike.

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: 429/C6 into 49 Ford

Mike, I have a 51 ford with a 351W that is stroked and bored to 427 cu. in.. The left Manifold sits about 1/4 inch away from the steering box. This is with the cast headers off a 271 horse Hi Po 289. I could not find any headers to fit. I have seen a 50 coupe with a 460, BUT it was sub-framed with a Chevy Nova front clip. You may be able to put in a 429 but you will have to change steering set-up. Butch"s Rod shop has a kit to put Rack and pinon steering from a G.M. front drive on the Ford. Then you would not have to worry about steering. The oil pan will have to be a rear sump type. But these are available. They came stock on broncos. Also Jeggs mail order has them. You will have to raise the transmission tunnel about 4 inches to make room for the C-6. You will have to fab a trans crossmember as the 49 crossmember is not removable. You will have to cut it out and make one to fit. You may want to go the 351W route. I have big block power and troque with small block weight. I have a 4 speed top loader in mine with a rear end from a 75 maverik. It is a 8 inch rear with a centersection from a V6 powered Pinto wagon it is a 3.40 to 1 locking rear. The maverik rear is a bolt in swap. only thing I had to change was the emergency brake cables. Just use the ones from the 49. I know every body wants a 9 inch, But I have been running this car for over 3 years( sometimes pretty hard) and it ain't broke yet. All they young guys arourd here can not figure out the old man in the old ford out running their new mustangs and one kid has a supercharged Pontiac Gran Prix. How does that old piece of s--t out run my new car he ask. Do you suppose that 427 cu inches and about 525 horse power has any thing to do with it? Gee's I don't know I'm just an old man of 51. I can't figure it out. Children don't realize we been there we done that already. If you need any advice just e -mail me and I will tell you what I know.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

Thanks Hoss for your input. I too want to be the gray haired old fart that dusts the Camaros and rice burners with a REAL American car. I'll forget about the 9" in the Bird and start looking for an 8". Is it just the Maverick that will work or how about a Mustang or granada, etc. I'm staying with the 429 because the guy is practically giving it to me.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

The 429/460 is an overweight engine that will destroy your handling.

It will also tear apart an 8" without too much effort.

A great engine in a 50's era pickup, not a car.

Do yourself a big favor and find a 302 and a C4. Fits nice and requires no butchering.

And doesnt require some mis applied clip just to get the car to go around a corner.

Dont get carried away by the initial "cheap"; that combo are also giveaways around here. Plus they dont like running detuned on modern gas.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

I don't know for sure but I have been told the granada uses the same rear as the maverik. I really don't think the 429 is the way to go in this car. The 302 or 351W is just a tad lighter than a flathead V8. you may want to measure how long the 429 is and compare it to your engine bay. I had to use a short water pump and still had to move the rediator forward about an inch, BUT that is about all you can move it with out interfering with the Hood when it is closed. Best to measure you engine bay and the engine to see how it lays out. My coupe is pretty full under the hood, its kinda tight with the winsdor. You will have to relocate the oil filter for sure, had to on mine. You may want to really smoke that 429 idea over real close. It is going to be real tight.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #6

I hope your ready for some major work.I put a 430 MEL motor in a 50 Ford Cpe and it was a big mistake,go with a 351W and save yourself a ton of work, and get great performance.

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #7

My 460 sat in my '54 Ford Coupe, but the C6 bumped the floor, about 4", like the man said. Heavy? Yeah, Buddy! The exhaust manifolds intersect the upper control arms, and I don't even have the steering problem you will have. Hoss speaks the truth, in spades! My 460 now sits in my 63-1/2 Galaxie, until I locate a stick bellhousing. How much was that kit, Hoss? Sounds like the magic number to me:427.400 lbs.Yeah!