Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2022, 09:46 AM   #1
1800wingrider

Default 51 Victoria

Hello Ford Barn,
I'm changing out a locked up engine w/auto trans out of a 51 Vic. engine has 8RT on heads. I'm going to attempt to put back a 8BA from a 51 4 door w/manual trans. Wondering if 8RT would be original to Vic, and if anyone has suggestions to what i might need to check or be aware of? I'm a newbie to flatheads and Ford-O-Matic's, but I do know my way around a car and a toolbox.
Thanks in advance,,
1800wingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:14 AM   #2
marko39

Default Re: 51 Victoria

8rt heads were used on truck engines. The blocks are the same as 8ba.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:17 PM   #3
cadillac512

I think there's a chance the crankshaft rear hub may not be machined for the torque converter snout. Might measure and compare to be sure. Memory is fuzzy on this one....also look at the water pumps and front pulley setup.

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
1800wingrider

Thanks for the input, I have been trolling forums and different websites for a couple of weeks now and found a lot of different opinions of the 8RT being just in trucks, also read about the crank hub but if info I read is correct all 51 blocks should have the same crank in them. But I will definitely measure, oh the water pump setup appears to be they same also
1800wingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
Ol' Ron

If the heads are 8RT the water pumps may also be 8RT and this will probably be the wrong crank as well. Check the rear carnk of your engine , they must be the same.
Gramps.
PS the heads and water pumps are interngeable. Good engines are hard to find.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:02 AM   #6
Frank Miller

The 8rt are lower compression and you might want to shy away from them. The correct ones for your car are 8ba. Later ones are EAB. We are dealing with ford here, Mercury got different numbers.
As far as I know all Ford 8ba short blocks are the same and you just bolt on different stuff to make t fit the model you're restoring.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:00 AM   #7
rotorwrench

The automatic that came out in 1951 required the crank flange bore size change for it but it can still be used with a manual transmission of those years. The fywheel bolts right on. The 8RT heads were large chamber heads to reduce compression for hauling heavy loads. 8BA heads are a bolt on. If changing to a manual transmission then the 1951 had a clutch equalizer that fit on the shift cover so a person needs that shift cover for the OEM clutch mechanism to work. The bell housings from 49 thru 51 Ford car should work plus the oil pan to fit a Ford car. They have a center sump. The automatic starter is different too. Any standard transmission starter from 49 thru 53 will work. Any Ford car 9.5 inch with a 1-inch 10-spline trans input clutch will work. A 1951 manual transmission donor car will have all the pedal and equalized parts plus the transmission but this stuff may be floating around on flea pay or in the swap meet section. The EFV8 club is another good place to check for parts,
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote