Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
LukeCutler

Default Voltage regulator?

Sorry if I'm dragging up and old topic, for some reason the search this forum feature is not working for me so I can't find old threads about it. And Google searches have left me still wondering, is it necessary to have a voltage regulator on my Model A?

I understand that they never had one to begin with, but from what I have read it sound like they might be a good idea.

On the other hand my A is a 1928 AA, so I will not be on any long road trips with it, and will not be doing much night driving. Mostly just running around town, and at a couple shows I go to, so in my case is it really necessary?

I would just like to have the opinion of some of the Old Pro's, since I am new to model A's, before this my Dad and I have had mostly vehicles from the 50s, and 60s.
Thanks
Old 04-23-2016, 08:28 AM   #2
JohnLaVoy

Default Re: Voltage regulator?

Sounds like you have figured it out. No night driving or long tours eliminates a lot of the reasons to have one. You might consider the diode in the cut out instead of the contacts. The diode only lets current run in one direction so you won't have the contacts close and drain the battery.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
Sounds like you have figured it out. No night driving or long tours eliminates a lot of the reasons to have one. You might consider the diode in the cut out instead of the contacts. The diode only lets current run in one direction so you won't have the contacts close and drain the battery.

Times 2

A voltage regulator IS a good addition no matter what your driving habits will be...
I use Tom W's units

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-23-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
jax55

Same here.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #5
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

What present problems are you trying to overcome ? If it works without a voltage regulator why add one. Just another part to break down! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Sounds as though if you just set the generator at 3-4 amps you'll be fine.

That said, I like the EVR that Tom W makes.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief always said, "If you can SMELL the battery COOKIN', turn on your LIGHTS"!
Chiefs'Son
Old 04-23-2016, 10:44 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

With a few short trips around town and no night driving, you may not see any payback, even though the battery is still better off. As Pat said, if you set the output for 3 to 4 amps, you should do fine.

I know John Regan makes the EVR in the cutout, and this is the easiest to install. James makes an EVR mounted to the generator band, and I make one that mounts inside the generator. For the long style generator (used 1929 and later) mine is the hardest to install, but still not that bad to do. Your 1928 AA should have a powerhouse generator, and those EVR's are easy to install.

I've never had a cutout problem, but I only use restored original cutouts. Many repro cutouts are very poor quality, so if you don't use a restored original, then you're best bet is to use a quality diode cutout.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
CWPASADENA

I have been using one of Tom W's EVRs for about 5 years now. I really like how it works. Just recently came back from a long road trip. After initial start in the morning, the gen would charge a bit with the ammeter showing initially about 10 amps. After a very short time, the ammeter would come back to show zero amps. It is a good feeling to drive on the highway for several hours with the battery fully charged and the generator is only charging enough to run the ignition system.

For short trip driving, a EVR will keep the battery fully charged and you do not have to guess how to set the third brush.

Again, this is just my experience and my opinion.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLaVoy View Post
You might consider the diode in the cut out instead of the contacts. The diode only lets current run in one direction so you won't have the contacts close and drain the battery.
The Diode cutout eliminates the points that can stick and drain the battery. Otherwise a good working relay cutout will work fine. Either, in good working order, and with a good working generator, will let current run in one direction only.