Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
KCW

Default Difficultly starting engine

I've got a 26 T. It drives great but has some difficulty starting. When I step on the electric starter it sometimes takes 10 or more attempts. After it starts and I drive it, it will hot start without difficulty. Any advice here? Sparks were just cleaned.
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Difficultly starting engine

First off get a copy of the Owners Manual if you do not have one, all the T parts suppliers have them.
Without eyes on you question is vague. We don't know how your car is setup. Distributor or coils? What carburetor or is it a vaporizer? Are you using the choke? Where are you setting the spray needle? If coils, have they been properly serviced? If running a timer, which one and same thing, has it been serviced? Is it setup/timed to fire just after top dead center?
Old 10-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
hammerless-12

I would assume you are getting spark, since the engine eventually starts and runs. When she's running does it run well? If it does run well after you finally get her started, chances are it's a fuel related issue. Possibly the carburetor. As posted earlier, a manual is always a plus. Although when it comes to vintage anything with engine, you really need to know and understand at least the basics of how your system works, and then that sometimes is not enough. For example: I had an old John Deere tractor to would on occasion sputter and cough. I had good spark at the spark plugs. I had completely re built the carburetor. But this intermittent problem was driving me nuts. I eventually found a small amount of "crap" was in the fuel tank and would upon occasion temporarily plug the idle jet within my carburetor. The engine would keep running, although poorly for awhile, and then snap right out of it and run like a million dollars. My point is this, narrow it down as best you can. I would say the fuel system is a good start with your engine. That being said, a weak spark or any number of other problems could cause these symptoms. You indicate the T is a 1926. I'm sure you are starting it on battery. I've seen a poor connection at the switch act in a simular manor. So do this, instead of cranking her until she starts, start checking for a good hot spark before you go to start her next time. Check that each coil is "singing" to you. Or maybe you are running a distributor, if so check for a hot spark at each plug. Then move on to fuel. Crank her a few times and then pull a plug, is it wet with fuel. Is my choke working properly. Keep going in this fashion and you will eventually get it narrowed down to the culprit. Does or has anyone added a fuel filter? This usually sends a red flag up, at least for me. Why was a fuel filter added. Usually, or many times that indicates possible contamination in the fuel tank. See if you can have any luck narrowing your problem down some. Keep us posted.
hammerless-12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #4
vwfinatic273

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Not knowing anything about your T. What condition is the wiring in? Bad power cables from the battery to starter can create a large voltage drop when cranking and in turn drop enough while pulling the amps for the starter which can cause the ignition circuit to not see what it needs for voltage to properly start promptly.

Have you checked your timing for your engine to make sure it is set correctly?

Is the timer cleaned?

Just a few ideas. If you can give some more info or details we may be able to have more info to use to give better advice.
vwfinatic273 is offline   Reply With Quote