Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-14-2018, 04:52 AM   #1
bigfeller08

Default looking for

hi members , i hope i am on the right link ,new to this and learning my way , WHAT WANT TO KNOW , WOULD ANY MEMBER HAPPEN TO HAVE A ORIGINAL SIDE VALVE VALVE REMOVAL TOOL THAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO SELL ME , ,JUST IN CASE I NEED ONE , WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL IF ANY MEMBER HAS ONE THEY DONT WANT ANY MORE , ,
I LOOKED AT THE WANTED TO BUY , BUT ,COULD NOT FIND THE LINK TO ADVERTISE IN IT , NEED HELP ON THIS ONE , MANY THANKS , PRIVATE MESSGAE ME PLEASE OR EMAIL ME ON [email protected] CHEERS WELSHLY08
bigfeller08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: looking for

Are you looking for a "valve spring compressor" if so there's a ton on ebay under
"vintage valve spring compressor" those with a star wheel to compress the spring works
best on all side valve engines even V8 Ford flatheads....
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
jimTN

Just look for Flathead Ford valve tool and you will find a garden variety
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
19Fordy

That tool is also called a "pickle fork".
Several for sale here:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=11389676
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Andy

I used a regular C type compressor. I got the keepers off and pulled the valves out and then pushed the guides down. Easy and fast. 8BA valves.
Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
Frank Miller

What does just in case I need one mean? Where do you live? If you lived near me I have all the stuff for you to borrow. Let others be the storer of tools you will rarely need. Before I got one I took a piece of EMT and cut a washer to weld on the end. Good for 8 removals and installations on an engine that would easily come apart. I have compressed the springs on the valve assembly with a drill press.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
What does just in case I need one mean? Where do you live? If you lived near me I have all the stuff for you to borrow. Let others be the storer of tools you will rarely need. Before I got one I took a piece of EMT and cut a washer to weld on the end. Good for 8 removals and installations on an engine that would easily come apart. I have compressed the springs on the valve assembly with a drill press.
I have used all manner of techniques to compress the springs to release the keepers. Usually on the bench alongside my drill press. Why didn't I think of that? Sheesh.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #8
Frank Miller

Just open the vise enough to hold the spring retainer and let the valve push through.