Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #41
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Installing dual 94 carbs on a Model A ratrod

To clarify: The PV's open when vac drops below their set point, but the fuel available through them feeds into the same passage that delivers fuel from the main jets into the venturis. The venturis do not have enouh pressure drop to pull gas from main and PV circuits until a substantial amount of air is moving though.
The holes you see in your PV serve only to ley gas flow when the openings are fed by the valve...the actual metering of the gas (controlling the amount that can flow via the PV) is controlled by restrictions in the passage in the body casting that lead gas away from the valve. In effect, the gas delivery can be thought of as 2 small extra main jets opening up...any gas actually moving has to be pulled though by the pressur drop generated by venturi flow.
In any discussion of rh Ford 94's, there are people who seem to blame low speed problems on th PV when it is actually flowing nothing, and you even hear statements about them "dumping" in gas!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #42
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

That must be the rare and expensive KR Wilson V-211 Stromberg Whacker!
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:09 PM   #43
Al Bass

the picture in post #35, how do you put intake manifolds on exhaust ports ? is it a special cam ? or cam timeing ?
Al Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 01:59 AM   #44
youngrodder1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bass View Post
the picture in post #35, how do you put intake manifolds on exhaust ports ? is it a special cam ? or cam timeing ?
experimental cam shaft it must work pretty good they went over 150mph with it i think ?
youngrodder1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #45
Jason in TX

Anyone know if Bud Calicutt got his car running better?
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #46
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
ive been told on 94's , that the trick is to block off the power valve & all will be good . if you want some work , i have a pair of 97's ! .................. steve
Well you were told wrong pal. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #47
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve norcal View Post
ive been told on 94's , that the trick is to block off the power valve & all will be good . if you want some work , i have a pair of 97's ! .................. steve
Simply put 2 94's or 2 97's are realy too much carburation for a 4 banger. Word to the wise. ken ct.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #48
hemiphil

I was just reading the above and It's all good info. I'm wondering if any can help me out with this. This is what I'm running A Simmons supper power head 6.1 compression and a Ansen intake. When I lay off the Gas 45-50 mph it back fires or just running at that speed It will start to back fire. The jets right now are 47's. Or Is it timming?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0495.jpg (45.5 KB, 54 views)
hemiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #49
ken ct
BANNED

Im not even going to get into this.Good luck ken ct.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #50
hemiphil

To complicated!!
hemiphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #51
PC/SR

I would first think leaky exhaust, either manifold or pipe connection.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 PM   #52
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiphil View Post
I was just reading the above and It's all good info. I'm wondering if any can help me out with this. This is what I'm running A Simmons supper power head 6.1 compression and a Ansen intake. When I lay off the Gas 45-50 mph it back fires or just running at that speed It will start to back fire. The jets right now are 47's. Or Is it timming?

Thanks
While there are great people here on Ford barn have you also gone to the banger section in HAMB?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #53
klawockvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
While there are great people here on Ford barn have you also gone to the banger section in HAMB?
Sure gets frustrating with the HAMB and Barn people. Ask a question on one and get referred to the other. There really are a some of us who have/want modified Model A's and don't want street rods or V8's. We just need to communicate with others who are like minded without a scolding from the purists on the Barn or the rodders on the HAMB who don't feel bangers are traditional hot rods. Rant over, now I feel better.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #54
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
Sure gets frustrating with the HAMB and Barn people. Ask a question on one and get referred to the other. There really are a some of us who have/want modified Model A's and don't want street rods or V8's. We just need to communicate with others who are like minded without a scolding from the purists on the Barn or the rodders on the HAMB who don't feel bangers are traditional hot rods. Rant over, now I feel better.
One only has to read what the intent of the two forums are as written by the same owner of both to see where a thread belongs. The fact that the title of this thread speaks to rat rods shows that it is best served on a forum that "is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs..."
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #55
klawockvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
One only has to read what the intent of the two forums are as written by the same owner of both to see where a thread belongs. The fact that the title of this thread speaks to rat rods shows that it is best served on a forum that "is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and customs..."
Hmmm. Sorry to bother you guys on the Barn so much but when I have asked for help about transmissions, overdrives, carbs, and exhaust on the HAMB I get referred to the Barn. I will keep doing searches and hope to get the info I need but it seems a shame that there cant be a little leeway from those of you who cant stand anything but a pure restored original. Its kind of hard for us simpletons to know just what is acceptable on the barn as I see so much about fuses, circuit breakers, touring motors, overdrives, etc. etc. Maybe you should post the acceptable deviations for us stupid bastards.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:06 PM   #56
Gary in MN

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=821243

HI Klawockvet: Here is the Aug. Banger Meet on the H.A.M.B. you could ask your question there.

Gary in MN.
Gary in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #57
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
Hmmm. Sorry to bother you guys on the Barn so much but when I have asked for help about transmissions, overdrives, carbs, and exhaust on the HAMB I get referred to the Barn. I will keep doing searches and hope to get the info I need but it seems a shame that there cant be a little leeway from those of you who cant stand anything but a pure restored original. Its kind of hard for us simpletons to know just what is acceptable on the barn as I see so much about fuses, circuit breakers, touring motors, overdrives, etc. etc. Maybe you should post the acceptable deviations for us stupid bastards.
Not a bother!! If you re-read my post you will note that I did not say get lost. I simply stated "have you also gone to the banger section in HAMB?" You were the one that "attacked" us "purists".