Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
mantta

Question Modern Front Oil Seal

I want to install a modern front oil seal on my engine once I have the oil pan and timing gear cover off. My question is, can I get that front pulley off with the radiator in the car? I have the one piece pulley.
Thanks All!
mantta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
V4F

Default Re: Modern Front Oil Seal

i believe you will find that it will not . not only the radiator but the cross member i believe is in the way . i just pulled my timing cover & had to bring the motor up a little to get it all out . good luck .. steve
Old 02-02-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Buy the 2 piece pulley that screws together with a left hand thread. Then slide old pulley forward and cut it off with a saws-all.
'THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-05-2011 at 01:21 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #4
Jim Parker Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Buy the 2 piece pulley that screws together with a left hand thread. Then slide old pulley forward and cut it off witth a saws-all.
'THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"
Wow, that seems a little extreme! Why not loosen off two top bolts, and remove the two lower bolts on your rear motor mount, and jack the front of the engine high enough to remove the pulley? Why buy more parts, especially when in the case of the two piece pulley, that any decent mechanic would NOT have it on his car!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
Wow, that seems a little extreme! Why not loosen off two top bolts, and remove the two lower bolts on your rear motor mount, and jack the front of the engine high enough to remove the pulley? Why buy more parts, especially when in the case of the two piece pulley, that any decent mechanic would NOT have it on his car!
Now Jim, that might not be such a bad idea to change out to a 2 piece pulley since he probably will have to remove it again to replace that leaky modern seal (although I do agree with you 100%). I don't think using a cutoff wheel is a good idea. If you hit the crank you could cause irreparable damage. Best to just remove the rad and do the job right. The quick way is not always the best way.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The pulley goes forward far enough to avoid the crankshaft. Use a Saws-All, not a cut off wheel, cut it just behind the pulley.
Sacramento Vintage Ford supplies a new type of 2 piece pulley that screws together with a L/H thread, not like old notched 2 piece pulleys. They are fool-proof and look like a stock pulley.

"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF'
Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
Anson

Send a message via MSN to Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Best to just remove the rad and do the job right. The quick way is not always the best way.
The quick way is never even a good way. I have rebuilt and even built engines for both normal and racing use and doing anything the quick or easy way will always come back to bite you in the end. Like my dad always said do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again later.
Anson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Dave in MN

Default Modern Front Oil Seal leaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
Now Jim, that might not be such a bad idea to change out to a 2 piece pulley since he probably will have to remove it again to replace that leaky modern seal (although I do agree with you 100%). I don't think using a cutoff wheel is a good idea. If you hit the crank you could cause irreparable damage. Best to just remove the rad and do the job right. The quick way is not always the best way.

James...second time I've caught your dissatisfaction with the modern seals here on Fordbarn. Your humor applied...made me smile!
FWIW: I've had very good success with them....but the pulleys need to be polished at the area of contact with the seal and the seal needs to be centered on the pulley/crank. Installation of the pan needs to be completed quickly after the front timing cover is slid into place so the seal is held in place from all sides before the sealant sets up around the perimeter of the modern seal. The only time I had a leaker was the first time I used one...I waited to install the pan until the next day...didn't even think or realize the seal could get off center. I have not had a single leaker since that time...40+ engines.
Note...I've only received one batch of standard Model A pulleys smooth enough to use without polishing. Bill Stipes and Scalded Dog's undersized pulleys come polished to a level that no additional work is required.
Good Day!
Dave in MN
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I've got to agree with James Rogers , I wouldn't use the modern front seal.

I haven't tried this but I have read and saw pictures of Bud Winfield breaking the cast iron original pulley for ease of removal with the radiator in place. He performed this operation while demonstrating the Winfield vibration dampner and the ease of installation. The cast iron original pulley breaks very easily. the crankshaft is forged and there is no danger of breaking it. But don't try this with one of the older Industria Argentina replacement pulleys that were made of steel.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anson View Post
The quick way is never even a good way. I have rebuilt and even built engines for both normal and racing use and doing anything the quick or easy way will always come back to bite you in the end. Like my dad always said do it right the first time and you won't have to do it again later.
You are right Anson. A buddy of mine says "If you don't have time to do it right the first time how are you going to find time to do it the second time?".
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #11
Dennis L Oberer

When I was in manufacturing the rule was:

1. Make the parts like the pictures...(drawiings).

2. There is always time to do it right the second time...then you learn more.

Dennis L Oberer
Green Bay WI
Dennis L Oberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Chief, (my dad), always said, "the easiest way is the best way if it does the job properly."
"THE ASSISTANT GURU OF STUFF"

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 02-06-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantta View Post
I want to install a modern front oil seal on my engine once I have the oil pan and timing gear cover off. My question is, can I get that front pulley off with the radiator in the car? I have the one piece pulley.
Thanks All!
Of course you are free to do as you please, but I have never had a rope front seal leak or a rope rear seal leak on a Ford or Chev unless it had a loose crank or installed wrong. I think you will find the so called modern seal will leak in short order.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

I agree with George. Never had a rope seal go bad, and I installed a lot of them when I replaced worn timing chains in the 70's when I worked at the GM dealership.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I agree that the modern seal is not your beat bet.

Any reason you need to change it or is it just because you want to?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #16
mantta

I have changed my mind on that modern seal. Mainly because it don't sound very reliable and secondly because the engine is in the car and getting the crank pulley off is a PITA.
mantta is offline   Reply With Quote