Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2017, 03:39 PM   #1
BillCNC

Question Rear Spring Mounting Issue

Hi Folk's

I'm mounting my rear spring after rebuilding it and am having an issue. I bought the rear U-Bolts from "The Early Ford Store", and I believe they are way to long. I have added a picture of the packaging and of a mock mounting. You can see the Castle nut is a mile from the cotter hole.

Should I cut the length and re-drill the cotter holes, or am I missing something here?

Oh, ... Merry Christmas!!!

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171225_122707[1].jpg (45.9 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg 20171225_122559[1].jpg (46.1 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by BillCNC; 12-25-2017 at 04:08 PM.
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Rear Spring Mounting Issue

I would call Snyder's. I am surprised they are offering Made in China parts.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #3
Purdy Swoft

All of the rear spring U bolts that I have seenare too long . Its either shorten and redrill or find good originals . there could be a risk of longer U bolts striking the banjo housing on bumps . I've never had it happen but have seen untrimmed , new spring center bolts strike and bend the banjo . If nothing else , too long U bolts don't look correct .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
700rpm

Hey Purdy! Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2017, 04:00 PM   #5
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I am surprised they are offering Made in China parts.
You are??
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
You are??
Yeah. I expect better of Snyder's. Surely someone can make something in America again, can't they? These u-bolts are pretty basic manufacturing projects. There must be a better source. And they're a Ford official licensed product? What a dirty joke. They are more like a Fraud official licensed product. Henry would never have approved of gyp parts like this.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
BillCNC

*** WHOOPS, ... Correction! ***

The supplier WAS NOT Snyders, ... It was the "Early Ford Store". I will correct the original Post to reflect that.

Regards
Bill

Last edited by BillCNC; 12-27-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #8
BillCNC

Yeah, ... I think I'll just cut the length and re-drill the cotter pin holes.

Regards
Bill
Old 12-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I think that the too long U bolts are actually early V8 U bolts. I got several sets of the too long U bolts in a collection of parts that I bought in 1999 so the Too long bolts have been on the market for a While . The metal of the U bolts is hard and difficult to drill . Call Steve at Berts model A center 800-321-1931 If Steve doesn't have good originals he will know the story about what goes on with the too long bolts . Good luck .
Old 12-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Hey Purdy! Merry Christmas!
Thanks Ray !!! Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you .
Your friend Purdy .
Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM   #11
1930-Pickup

I'll bet that Bert's has a pair of real bolts...Purdy is right on this
Old 12-25-2017, 07:53 PM   #12
wrndln

Stick with original Ford parts. Like 1930-Pickup, I am sure Bert's has good Ford U bolts and nuts on hand. With original parts, you know they will look and fit right. Make sure you have the correct bottom plate as there are two kinds of them. Try to stay away from Chinese made parts.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #13
CT Jack

As many have said in these posts if we accept parts we have paid good monie for that are of inferior quality or fit our parts suppliers will continue to push what ever they can on us. You should not have to modify a part to make it fit or work. Supposing you cut the U bolt too short by accident then what recourse do you have?
Send them back, get a refund, and do what others are suggesting. Look for another resource or a good used bolt. A used U bolt will definitely be of better quality than the one from China.
Merry Christmas
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #14
SteveB31

We do have original u bolts, and all vendors do sell many China and Taiwan made parts- I know that sucks, but it is reality. About half of all the repro parts made now are made in those places. I don’t like it. You don’t like it. Some are of great quality. Some are not. Those u bolts mentioned above are good quality materials, but Snyder’s has them made there because they cannot find anyone here to make them for the same cost. They are too long. They are tough to accurately drill. If you want some original ones, we have some. We all hate to see China made parts- but it is hard to get parts made in the USA these days. On a side note, we make about 100 parts for Model A Fords- all available from any dealer- and all the parts we make are made in Colorado- many in our shop.

Steve @ Berts
Modelastore..com
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
SteveB31

On a side note- the authorized Ford thing mentioned above means nothing- Ford has never inspected that part.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
BillCNC

Hello All,

Well for me, it's now old news. The U-Bolts were shortened .750" and a .125" hole was accurately re-drilled the same .750". The bolts and nuts have had the paint striped and will be re-squirted tomorrow and I'll install tomorrow in the afternoon.

For myself, I think the parts are of decent quality and sizing was the only issue for me. I just figured if I didn't miss something, then the part was probably generalized to fit more than just the ass-end of our A's.

Thanks guy's

Regards
Bill
Old 12-25-2017, 09:09 PM   #17
jw hash

Merry Christmas to you guys. it also looks to me you have a 10 leaf spring and your lower bars are for a 8 leaf. unless you do not have tight enough to pull the bars up closer the cross member. if it way me, I would go for originals.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:10 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Jack View Post
As many have said in these posts if we accept parts we have paid good monie for that are of inferior quality or fit our parts suppliers will continue to push what ever they can on us. You should not have to modify a part to make it fit or work. Supposing you cut the U bolt too short by accident then what recourse do you have?
Send them back, get a refund, and do what others are suggesting. Look for another resource or a good used bolt. A used U bolt will definitely be of better quality than the one from China.
Merry Christmas
The Chinese, like anybody can make good things and some crap too. Made in USA isn't a guarantee that it is good just like Made in China doesn't mean it's bad. It comes down to how hungry the vendors are for a $ and how much they are prepared to compromise their reputation to make a few extra $. If the vendor doesn't stay on top of quality control in what they are buying, a manufacturer will send the cheapest they think they can get away with so they make the extra $. The point about sending rubbish items back to the vendor so they learn we won't accept it is just as readily made for vendors sending crap back to the manufacturers if it doesn't measure up.
JMHO.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #19
1930-Pickup

I'm willing to pay more for Quality parts. Always have.
I'm willing to pay even more for good original parts. Always have.

It is entirely up to the consumer to push the market for quality and availability of parts. China provides products based on customer requirements.
They can build high quality, but you have to pay.
But since many, many people put low price as the number one requirement, then low price is what China will provide.

Most consumers can't tell the difference in the quality of parts. For example, to some people a grade 5 bolt may look the same as an ungraded bolt. People, be wise and educated in your purchases!

'Made in USA' or 'Ford Authorized' is NOT a guarantee, but they are indicators. They put the odds on your side.

You have a USA car, keep it USA.
You can demand it.
You are the consumer, you have the money, you have the power.
Let your suppliers know...

Finally, thanks to Steve at Bert's for providing Quality parts and Quality service. You are the proof that it can be done.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:35 PM   #20
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post

It is entirely up to the consumer to push the market for quality and availability of parts. China provides products based on customer requirements.
They can build high quality, but you have to pay.
But since many, many people put low price as the number one requirement, then low price is what China will provide.
yup you get it. China is fully capable and can produce quality parts to blueprint specs. Unfortunately we as consumers are cheap asses and balk at what appear to be simple things like this when in reality a quality reproduction part cost alot.

Doesn't help there are plenty of excellent originals out there for $20 or less. (see them all the time on the "dollar tarps" at swap meets or a pair with nuts and bars for $5).