Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
rpm2831

Default " Tie down a Model A to trailer"

I have a restored 1930 Model A coupe . What is the best way to tie it down to a flatbed (H&H) 18' trailer? I have ratchet binders (5000 lb capacity) straps.Thanks, Ray Mayers.
rpm2831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
Great Lakes Greg

Default Re: " Tie down a Model A to trailer"

I just invested in an "E" track system which puts the straps over the tires instead of around the axles (or whatever you hook to). Not all that expensive, easier to use, and saves the paint on your axles. A number of on-line trailer outfitters have them, but I picked mine up on the evil ebay.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Bruce Adams

Face the Model A forward and get it as far forward as you can since you wnat a 60% weight on the tongue to not have the trailer dancing behind you at highway speed.
Brake off and out of gear also permits the straps to do their work. The 5000# straps are good. I wrap the axles and run them to the D-Rings.
I would think that it is to your advantage to have some forward and aft element instead of having the straps directly above the axles as recommended above but I am a trailer user and not a theorist in this matter.
Hopefully you have a four wheel trailer and four wheel electric brakes. Adjust the controller to grab a bit earlier than when the car brakes heavily engage.
Make sure you bring a jack and a spare tire, as you could imagine the grief of not having one on a Sunday, 100 miles from nowhere when you are in a hurry.
I have a tall stick showingg me where to drive to and stop since you have a poor view of the deck when driving aboard.

Happy Trailering !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
ldj1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Face the Model A forward and get it as far forward as you can since you wnat a 60% weight on the tongue to not have the trailer dancing behind you at highway speed.
Brake off and out of gear also permits the straps to do their work. The 5000# straps are good. I wrap the axles and run them to the D-Rings.
I would think that it is to your advantage to have some forward and aft element instead of having the straps directly above the axles as recommended above but I am a trailer user and not a theorist in this matter.
Hopefully you have a four wheel trailer and four wheel electric brakes. Adjust the controller to grab a bit earlier than when the car brakes heavily engage.
Make sure you bring a jack and a spare tire, as you could imagine the grief of not having one on a Sunday, 100 miles from nowhere when you are in a hurry.
I have a tall stick showingg me where to drive to and stop since you have a poor view of the deck when driving aboard.

Happy Trailering !
NO! NO! do not put 60% of the weight on the tongue. 10 to 15% at max.
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Ditto on the tongue weight, and cross the rear straps (prevents side to side movement). The over the tire straps are good and most recovery drivers are using them, another option is thru the wheels w/short rachet straps, many high end cars are done this way, allows the suspension to work. JMO
Paul in CT ex-tower
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
700rpm

If your A isn't drivable, don't put any pull on the center of the front axle, either for towing, or winching onto a trailer. Many an axle has been bent that way. Wrap your straps or chains around the front spring perches.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
kenparker

I use two 5000# straps hooked to the front crossmsmber of the trailer then wrapped around the axel between th King Pin and Spring Perch. Two 5000# ratchet straps are wrapped over the rear axel and crossed and hooked to the rear crossmsmber ofthe trailer. 4 tie downs total.

Car Hauler flat Bed Trailer weighs 1200#. Coupe weighs about 2300#. Thats 3500# total. I put 400# on toungue/trailer hitch. Speedster weighs only 1300# so I roll it a little further back and only put 350# on hitch. My trailer tracks like it isnt not even back there. Going to Tennesseee wit speedster loaded like that next monts.

As someone above said. "Never tie down or winch to the center ofthe axel.

Don ya jus luv my spalin an tipin. he-he. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
rpm2831

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I will take all of them into consideration before I make my decision.Some of our Redstick club members including my wife Diane and I are planning to tour with the Central Alabama club to Foley Alabama and Pensecola Florida on a 6 day tour.I drive my coupe on all the tours we make,the most recent on the National Model A Tour to Nashville, Tennessee.However due to a family situation I will trailer my coupe to Foley and take it off the trailer and drive the car . Thanks very much. Ray in Duckroost, Louisiana.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
rpm2831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
I just invested in an "E" track system which puts the straps over the tires instead of around the axles (or whatever you hook to). Not all that expensive, easier to use, and saves the paint on your axles. A number of on-line trailer outfitters have them, but I picked mine up on the evil ebay.
Greg, what size are the straps, (width to fit narrow tires, height, etc).Do you remember or know the vender on E-Bay?How does the track attach to the trailer? Thanks, Ray Mayers.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #10
Great Lakes Greg

The straps are configured so they make a kind of net that goes over the top of the wheel. I got the track from Mackie Enterprises in New Jersey. They sell in different lengths and have free shipping. They have a website found with the company name. "Auto tie down wheel net" in the ebay search box will get you the supplier I used for the straps. He is in Georgia. Good pic on his page for what the set up would look like.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #11
Fred K-OR

This is the way I tie them down. Note the board in front like mentioned above.

Back ties are wraped around the center and crossed. Front are like Kenparker mentioned.

Good luck and have fun.

Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Bruce,Upstate NY

I see E track used that isn't sufficiently secured to wood trailer decks. I use a hydraulic tongue scale to determine 10 to 12 % of the gross weight on the tongue. Mark the tire position for the next tiime. On most trailers, centering the A over the front trailer axle comes out about right. Too much weight on the hitch takes too much weight off the steering wheels without equalizer bars. Floor rings on wood decks: run grade 8's down through steel framework. In a panic stop or collision that car is going to have a terrific forward force. Rear straps and anchors need to be really strong.
Bruce,Upstate NY is offline   Reply With Quote