Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Bruce in southern OH

Default Copy of Threads, Save information on a disc?

Need to ask a question about Fordbarn Threads, Ryan, everyone, is it possible to save a Thread to a disc before comments, threads, photos are lost. I did not know if like the post I have about "Yes they are still out there #2" can be transferred to a disc. It has all the info about my progress, information, phone numbers of company's, supplier suggestions, shared by Members, comments how to fix, correct, repair. Just short of taking a video recorder ( my phone ?) and taking a video as I go page to page, thank you for info and advise.
Merry Christmas to Ryan and all Fordbarn members, be safe!!!
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
4tl8ford

Default Re: Copy of Threads, Save information on a disc?

Bruce - Open the thread - In the red strip just above the post you should see a button with "Thread Tools" on it - Press the button - It opens to three choices - Press the "Show Printable Version" - See if that gives you what you want - You should be able to print to a file on your computer or try a select all and see how much that copies if you get what you want save it to a file.
Hope this helps, I haven't had my coffee yet
1952 Ford F2 (Driver)
1948 Ford F1 Panel (Frame off resto-rod)
1946 Ford Coupe (Basket case)
4tl8ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Bruce in southern OH

Thank you, I just tried to copy with printer, it will print several pages then stop, I did press print all, will have my son look later to tell me what I am doing/not doing correct. It gives me the JPG but not photo, will ask you/everyone/my son if there is away to retrieve photo so that if the photobucket link is moved/lost I will have copy. Thank you for info, any thing else you can advise is appreciated, Bruce
(4tl8ford, is there away to get a copy of my photos off of photobucket, my free room is used up??) (like most of Fordbarners, we use photobucket as storage for posts of photos to barn? )
Old 12-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
TagMan

I save different technical threads to a folder I created on the hard drive. To do so:

1. Open the thread
2. Left click on "File" on the header bar at the top of the screen and a drop down menu will appear.
3. Select "Save As".
4. On the next screen that appears, open the file you want to save the post to.
5 At the bottom of the menu, where it says "Save as type:", touch the down arrow and select the 2nd choice down on the drop down menu that's labeled "Web Archive, single file (*.htm;*html)" and then hit "Save" on the button that appears.

The thread is now saved to the hard drive and you can read, print or download to a disc from there. Sounds like a lot of steps, but do it a few times and you'll see it's a pretty simple process and very convenient.
-Bob
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
Bruce in southern OH

TagMan, that worked great, was what I have been looking for, pictures, everything, thank you, Bruce
( At some point for someone smarter than me, if a catalog/disc with directory of titles, with the old Fordbarn and new Barn was saved so you could just search and all that information would not be lost in the past ??? Comments, photos, etc., such a treasure!!!)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
Drbrown

Trying to copy/print by directly using your printer is limited by your printer's memory capacity and so only a certain number of pages would print at a time.

Rather than using Microsoft IE as my internet server, I use Google Chrome and thus do not have the MS "file" or "save as" buttons at the top.

Regardless .... I prefer to edit and consolidate the threads I save by deleting posts in it that are unimportant or irrelevant, and by adding/inserting information or images to enhance the thread.

So instead I click on "Show Printable Version" button at the top of the thread, then copy and paste the entire thread onto a Microsoft Office page, then save that to a computer file which I then edit. In your case this would let you add or transfer photos to the thread. When done editing, you can put your files on a disc or flash drive (data stored on a flash drive generally lasts longer than if stored on a disc).

Hint: To copy and paste a large/long thread click on "view all" at the end of the index line and it will display the entire thread as one page, enabling you to copy the whole thread in one operation.

Last edited by Drbrown; 12-21-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Bruce in southern OH

I will try a smaller thread of Fordbarn, would like to add the photos from photo bucket to the thread that I copy, then a flash drive ( any idea how long a flash drive last??)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
51 MERC-CT

The process suggested by TagMan works well.
Copied to flashdrive a page that contained both PHOTOBUCKET pictures and those directly downloaded from computer.
Whatever is copied has to be opened with Internet Explorer and when viewing a copied page while connected to the internet it seems to take you directly to the web page address with all attributes of the web page.
I opened the saved page on a computer that has no web connection and to my surpise all of the Photobucket pic's
opened as posted but the ones that were thumbnails could not be enlarged without a web connection.
Also only the first page of a thread is available without a web connection.
My conclusion, why not just copy and archive the web page address of what ever you are interested in, unless you want to view them off line with only access to the first page and thumbnails that can't be enlarged.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-21-2014 at 10:30 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #9
Drbrown

Usable life of data stored on a removable disc vs. flash drive: I understand that to date no one is able to exactly predict how long data stored on a removable disc or flash drive will remain "readable." Surely the quality of a disc or flash drive has a primary impact. Secondly the life depends on the format used and whether the data is in the form of text or images.

Regardless, the current consensus appears to say that flash drives are better.

Non-removable (hard) drives are even better, although more expensive. And the jury is out regarding mechanical drives vs. the new solid state drive devices.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 AM   #10
gearhead1952

Flash drives will last longer than the mechanical hard drives of today. The hard drives are of lower quality than they were years ago. The spindle bearing has gotten smaller which means it has less grease in it and fail quicker. Have replaced more hard drives in recent years than I ever did.
You can also use print screen utilities like Snagit or can use the print screen that comes with windows. If you have Adobe Acrobat it allows you to print the screen to a pdf file. There are other freebie utilities on the Internet that will allow you to do the same as Acrobat is pricey.
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #11
Bruce in southern OH

Thanks gearhead1952, I will work on this today, I am sure that this info will help a lot of Fordbarn members, have had a lot of positive contacts about info. Merry Christmas to all.
( still thinking about Ryan's site and away to have a directory that would read like a book, A's - alternator information, etc., B's - Brakes, etc., C's - Cooling, etc., and so on )
Old 12-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
...Rather than using Microsoft IE as my internet server, I use Google Chrome and thus do not have the MS "file" or "save as" buttons at the top....
Chrome's menu commands are accessed via the button that looks like three horizontal hash marks, typically positioned at the right side of the browser bar.

You'd use "Save page as..." with the type "Webpage, Complete".

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #13
Bruce in southern OH

Thank you, will also investigate that method, appreciate all information, found that printing one full page of Fordbarn information out takes 5 pages 8 1/2 X 11 sheets of paper, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Bruce