Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #1
Louis

Default points closing

Where can you buy a set of org. type points that dont start closing up in 3-4 hundred miles ? I bought the last set from NAPA [made in USA] and have had to readjust 3 times in the last 800 miles, I always clean and lub the dist. cam when I adjust the points, The dist. shaft does not seem to have any excessive play in it, I keep reading about folks here that have had the same points for 10-30 years and no problems.
Thanks for Any advice.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: points closing

New points close up as you have experienced. However, a glaze will eventually form on the rubbing block and the excessive wear will diminish and the points will close up less. I make it a point to clean and re-set the points at each oil change at about 1,000 miles.

Many of us salvage points out of old nasty looking distributors we pick up at swap meets. Some of the older points had a larger diameter on both points. If they clean up ok, there is good spring tension, and the rubbing block is not worn away, use them.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Kevin in NJ

What does your cam look like?

Is it very smooth? Is it rough?

How snug is the fit of the points to the point pivot block? Some have a sloppy fit allowing the rubbing block to touch the cam at an angle. Found a few dist with this problem when I was sorting the other day.

You should expect to adjust the points frequently at first as the block as to wear to fit the cam. Over time the duration should drop considerably.

BUT

I have to add there are some low quality points out there that will wear rapidly all the time. This is for both original and modern points.

If you are using Ford points you must also check that the spring is hooked and there is stiff tension. Keep in mind the original plate allows for the the stationary point to be adjusted parallel to the movable point. Just loosen the 2 screws on the bottom.

Keep in mind that an old set of points that look good will work fine too. I have a bunch of old points that I would have no problem using on a car. Make sure the point rubbing block rivets are tight.

FWIW my brothers car still has the same points that came with the car 40 years ago.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
RonC

Here's a NOS genuine Ford Model B cam. Notice the polished finish on the lobe.

RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
harleyjj

I had the same problem with my car when using a distributor cam from Snyders. Switched to a distributor cam from Bill Stipe and the problem vanished
harleyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Well, there's the problem identified! Good to know a source for a better product.
Marco wrote a good article on this problem; he said that after several rounds of readjustment, a typical repro cam would polish in to a good surface and stop making trouble. He noted the he polishes repro cams to kill the problem, but noted that it was difficult skilled work to do this without damaging contour.
Treasure your good original parts...a Ford made B cam is a real goodie.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote