Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #21
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: ’39 Lincoln Zephyr Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
My 1946 Continental coupe has the punch outs for the hot air heater, but it had a hot water heater installed at the dealership. The holes that are 3" or 4" were made by drilling a series of 1/4" holes and cutting the spaces between the holes. My 1948 Zephyr convertible was originally bought in Fla. and has no heater. There are punch outs for the hot water heater that are still in place.
Like this ? This is the hot air heater hole in the firewall of my 39 Zephyr. I am going to smooth up the hole ,none of it shows when the heater is installed but I will know its there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00382.JPG (131.8 KB, 13 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #22
Vic Piano

Ken & Bill, this photo is not that good but you should be able to see the bracket over the hole that the tubing from the blower motor connects to. The yellow thing is a rattle can top that I stuck in the opening to keep some, if not most, of the fumes from the engine compartment from getting into the interior.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #23
Ken/Alabama

When I got my car it had all the hot air heater parts in the dash and the one seen in your picture. I have since located everthing else from the firewall out except for the heat exchanger itself. Had a N.O.S. one and let a friend have it, I had no idea I would someday wind up with a Zephyr.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #24
Vic Piano

Ken, I talked with Kepich; they make the heat exchanger for the '39 Zephyr in stainless as well as steel. I don't remember what the cost was as I'm not at that point with the Zephyr yet. I don't have their phone # handy but you can Google them if you're interested. Vic
Old 09-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #25
Lincoln

According to a 11/17/38 Green Island Branch Sales Letter on L-Z Accessories, it lists Heater & Defroster assembly 96H-18455 as one of the accessories available as an option for Factory installation. List price was $27.50, plus $6.00 installation charge at the Lincoln Plant.
This assembly was also available to the Dealer through service, so it could have been installed by him. Probably most of the cars ordered for duty in cold-weather states had the heaters installed at the factory as an option. Some of the later 1939 FORDs had the hot air heater holes prepunched, while the earlier FORDs were not. This practice may have been followed on the 1939 L-Z cars as well. Ford offered its Dealers a K.R. Wilson hole saw specifically for drilling the larger holes. So obviously Ford intended for these holes to "look professional".
The Nov. 1939 L-Z Chassis Parts List only lists a hot air heater and defroster assembly for the 1939, so this listing and the Sales Letter mentioned above suggests that a hot water heater was not available in 1939.
Unfortunately my L-Z resources are quite limited, but I did want to share the above with everyone. You are indeed fortunate to have located an "as-built" ledger for your specific car, as I do not believe the FORD cars were ever documented to that extent.
Good luck in your "search for the truth".

Lincoln.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #26
larry butcher

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hey Vic,
Good question, my '38 conv coupe was put together without a heater or

defroster, the side panels have the "knock out " on both sides. The little block out

plate on the dash is still there. You may have noticed this when you looked it over

back in '04 at Frederick MD.Any time I have a tough question, I write a short note to

Dave Cole; he knows these cars. Good pics of your car. I know how to take care of that

shift grommet. Drop me an "E" sometime, Best regards; Larry Butcher

Zephyr38 @verizon .net
larry butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
Vic Piano

Hi Larry, long time no talk, hope all is well. I'll send you an email after the weekend Vic