Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
39DLXE

Default '38'Cable brakes with 'Floaters'

Hello again:
Thought it would be best to start a new thread RE: cable brakes.
I know '37 and '38s have cable brakes, but have also heard 'cable brakes in conjuction w/ 'floaters', and kept well adjusted can function almost as well as 'juice' (my 39) brakes'.
Would probly like to keep original cable brakes, but not familiar with the term 'Floaters' and what their function is. Can any shed any light on this? would be much appreciated.
thanks,
John
39DLXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: '38'Cable brakes with 'Floaters'

google flatheadted.com, he is the inventor/purveyor of these floaters. I have installed his floater on a couple of Model A's and a 36 sedan, they work good, can slide all four wheels if you want to. I have not done a conversion using cable brakes, one thing I can tell you about cables is you must keep the inner cable free so they will not bind in the outer shield
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:31 PM   #3
39DLXE

OK ! WOW. Quick response! Thanks alanwoodieman, will check that google and what you say makes a lot of sense regarding inner cable and shield.
thanks again,

John
Old 08-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Kurt in NJ

it should have floaters from the factory
good well lubed cables---not grease, grease will make the cables sticky, motor oil or gear oil, make a funnel by tieing plastic on the outer on one end to make a funnel and work the cable till clean oil comes out the other end
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39DLXE View Post
Hello again:
Thought it would be best to start a new thread RE: cable brakes.
I know '37 and '38s have cable brakes, but have also heard 'cable brakes in conjuction w/ 'floaters', and kept well adjusted can function almost as well as 'juice' (my 39) brakes'.
Would probly like to keep original cable brakes, but not familiar with the term 'Floaters' and what their function is. Can any shed any light on this? would be much appreciated.
thanks,
John
Allow me to make a correction to your statement that cable brakes can function ALMOST as well as juice brakes: With floaters, and properly adjusted, cable brakes will perform BETTER than any Ford juice brakes up to at least 1948. Cable brakes will also be more reliable than ANY juice brakes up to dual master cylinder brakes.

About floaters, their function is to permit the shoes to float as Ford intended, thereby becoming self energized. How this is done is to convert the adjuster from a wedge type adjuster ( Hotchkiss, adjusted with a wrench) to a star type adjuster (Bendix, adjusted with a brake spoon). The Hotchkiss design with wedges does not permit the floating action sufficiently to be self energizing every time you apply the brakes, as the components are "wedged" tightly against each other, preventing any meaningful movement, almost being in a fixed position. The Bendix Star type, is not restricted in its movement at all, meaning that the shoes are absolutely free to move, providing the desired self energizing effect.

Flathead Ted has designed a wedge floater for the early Fords, before 1937, that performs better than the original Ford wedge. The early Fords could not accommodate a Bendix type adjuster, so his product has gained favor for those early Fords, but due to its retaining the wedge design, cannot perform near as well as the star type in '37 - '38 brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 64-15305.jpeg (5.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpeg brake equal01small.jpeg (4.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #6
39DLXE

Significant amount of credible inf., ford38v8. I watched his youtube video and if this car is viable I think your inf on Flathead Ted's floaters is convincing.

Thanks
John
Old 08-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
Capsacto

Shortly after I purchased my 37 three years ago I was inspecting and lubing everything on the chassis. My brake cables were so tight and gummed up with stuff I couldn’t move them through their conduits by hand. I Pulled the front drums and rear hub/drum assemblies to inspect the brakes. I removed the cables from their lever arms so that they could move through the whole length of the conduits. I cleaned the cables and used some PB Blaster lubricant for cables until the movement was smooth as silk with no resistance. It’s a time consuming job, but we’ll worth it. Everything ford38v8 wrote is on target.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Capsacto; 08-11-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Added
Capsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

ford38v8>>>Flathead Ted has designed a wedge floater for the early Fords, before 1937, that performs better than the original Ford wedge. The early Fords could not accommodate a Bendix type adjuster, so his product has gained favor for those early Fords, but due to its retaining the wedge design, cannot perform near as well as the star type in '37 - '38 brakes.>>>

Sadly I replaced my mechanicals with Lockheeds. Probably even before FlatheadTed graduated from kindy. His mechanical floaters came too late for me. Now I'm hoping he can soon release his Lockheed floaters before it's too late again. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 PM   #9
ford38v8

From the last two responses, it appears that I have not made it clear that Flathead Ted's Lockheed Wedge type floaters work well in pre-1937 Fords, but the better choice for '37-'38 Fords would be the Bendix Star type adjusters. Sadly, I do not know of a manufacturer of the Star type today. Someone did say Mac's has it, not sure.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Chuck Kuntz

I installed a set of Ted's floaters on a friends 37. The installation was fairly easy and made a big difference in the car.
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #11
Jack E/NJ

from https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...8338&showall=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
FlatheadTed>>>Yes like Bendix>>>OK. What about a kit for Lockheed hydraulics? When I was a clueless youngster, I installed them on my 38 thinking they'd stop quicker & straighter. I was only half right. 8^( Jack E/NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
You mean like 39 hydraulics ,I have the prototypes but never went any further ,since the Lincolns are available ,Should I revive the development ,Ted

Happily, FlatheadTed seems to be on the case. I think he's now testing 60 prototypes. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote