Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2023, 01:03 AM   #1
64steve

Default Stalling issuesÂ…

Hello everybodyÂ…

i have a 1964 F100 with a 292 y block with a 3 deuce setup and is three on the tree. couple months ago i was having carb trouble where when cold truck ran great but when up to operating temp it would be hard to start , use a lot of gas and would fall on its face when trying to take off. i had rebuilt all three carbs using a rebuild kit and replaced a float which had gas and was my issue. truck ran perfect for a short period and then started to do the same thing just not as bad this time around. another float was heavy so i replaced it now iÂ’m starting to have similar issue. my highschool is about a 20 minute drive so in the morning when itÂ’s cold truck runs great but after driving it for a bit and itÂ’s fully up to operating temperature it starts to fall on its face when taking off from a stop and i will have to ride the clutch to get going and even then itÂ’ll still fall on itÂ’s face. the truck isnÂ’t hard to stop quite the opposite where i donÂ’t even have to press the gas and it will still start right away when warm which is why iÂ’m confused. i replaced 2 out of the 3 carb floats so i believe itÂ’s the float on the last carb which i never changed. i know i probably shouldÂ’ve changed all three at the same time but i guess i live and learn. a second opinion would be great
64steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:10 AM   #2
64steve

Default Re: Stalling issuesÂ…

forgot to mention… truck seems to be running extremely rich which is why i believe it’s a heavy float which when truck gets warm it boils over causing it to dump fuel and run rich and causing my issues but still would like a second opinion.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:20 PM   #3
miker98038

You’re probably on the right track with the float. A sad fact is a lot of what we buy, and carb kits are one, don’t either have the right parts or properly made. If the floats were old, it’s catching up with you one at a time.

I haven’t worked on a tri power with 94’s in almost 25 years, so I’m not going to be much help. But we need to know the manifold (Offy, Edelbrock, etc) and that they’re 94 carbs.

Since it has run well, we won’t get into the other usual suspects. But flooding in 94’s is common, variety of reasons, and a hot soak (warm restart) is common too.

Hopefully someone will chime in.

You might fill out your whole profile, location, age, experience etc. We like the idea of young people around and if you’re driving to high school you’re not my age. I went to my 55th reunion last night.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 10:54 PM   #4
Hot Rod Reverend

A very good series on these Holley 94's can be found on this YouTube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPq4WhD2s0Y
Old 08-15-2023, 08:44 AM   #5
58Yeoman

I had replaced the sending unit in my 58 Chevy wagon with a new one, and less than a year later, the brass float developed two cracks. The vendor sent me a new brass float, which also failed later. I bought a replacement on my own that was a hybrid brass/some kind of floating plastic that worked well. I wonder if the same is happening with carb floats.
58Yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 03:04 PM   #6
64steve

agreed. floats are very old and i should’ve replaced all three but again you live and learn. and yes they’re 100% 94’s since they’re stamped 94 on it verified them with holley. as well as a offy intake. i planning on throwing the new float on tomorrow!

also yes it’s my first car lol , will definitely fill out my info i just created my account so still trying to figure out how to use it
Old 08-15-2023, 03:05 PM   #7
64steve

might be , but the floats on there are old , very old so they’re definitely in needing of replacement probably
Old 08-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #8
Gene F

Steve, I have a 57 with Tri-power. 1) replace the floats, 2) get one of those ~$50 fuel regulators and put it between the fuel pump and the carbs. A lot of those old carbs will flood if too much fuel pressure. Mine is 1lb, to 1 1/2 LBS. 3) The middle carb is the only one that should have idle circuits. If the fore and aft carbs have idle circuits, and power valves you have the wrong equipment. 4) On my car I have the accelerator pump on the least aggressive hole. I also turned my screws in (GENTLY!!!!!!!!!!!), and then backed them out 1 1/4 turns. It stopped the stumbling when warm. 5) A pheonolic spacer is an effective item.

BTW; progressive linkage is the way to go.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 57 tri power 99 percent done B.jpg (65.4 KB, 13 views)
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:50 PM   #9
64steve

i do have progressive linkage. but i don’t think it’s something wrong with the setup. when i rebuilt mine i had my neighbor who’s bering doing this for 30 plus years guide me so i think everything in there is in check. nice setup though! pretty similar to mine but i have a float in my garage that i will replace tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2023, 04:21 PM   #10
Gene F

Steve, since you are new here, it is considered polite to report back the end result(s).

What does your neighbor say? Let's face it nothing like looking right at something, as opposed to this web board...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:10 PM   #11
64steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Steve, since you are new here, it is considered polite to report back the end result(s).

What does your neighbor say? Let's face it nothing like looking right at something, as opposed to this web board...
hey gene! sorry i just got back from testing it. it definitely runs better but it still does it a bit but it seems with every drive it gets better. i’ll be head up some shows this weekend and see what it does. i haven’t asked my neighbor yet but he told me to replace all three floats (as i just did) and report back so let’s see what happens
Old 08-16-2023, 08:25 PM   #12
64steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post

though what confuses me is how it ran fine when i first out everything togther which is why i don’t think it’s something with how it’s setup but who knows… like i said i’m gonna drive it around this weekend and see how it does and report back
Old 08-17-2023, 01:01 PM   #13
miker98038

Since you’ve been flooding the engine a bit with the stuck floats I suspect the plugs are a bit fouled. They may burn clean or continue to improve, but pulling them and checking them may need to be done. I’d get at least the easy ones first, see what I’ve got.

Last edited by miker98038; 08-19-2023 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:54 PM   #14
64steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker98038 View Post
Since you’ve been floating the engine a bit with the stuck floats I suspect the plugs are a bit fouled. They may burn clean or continue to improve, but pulling them and checking them may need to be done. I’d get at least the easy ones first, see what I’ve got.
i agree with you on the foul plugs , i’m gonna take cylinder #1 out and check it out and see how it is
Old 08-19-2023, 02:18 PM   #15
miker98038

From what I remember about the internal design of the Offy manifold I’d pull either 2-3 or 6-7 plugs. More likely to have dumped excess fuel there. But it’s been years since I had one.