Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2021, 11:40 PM   #21
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Front spring arching and replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certimafied View Post
Hhmmm... Maybe im Glad I didnt call and order that spring from a-springs today.

My car is in good shape sporting an older patina'd resto. I don't plan on restoring I just want to get it up and running safe and reliably so it can be enjoyed. I do plan on selling at some point so I don't want to do anything that will alter its original condition or value. Though the more I do and drive it the less I am willing to sell lol!

Are the Posies a no-no to the hardcore purists? I don't think im studied enough to know if that would alter value any.

in any case with either spring is reaming needed? Ive got a distributor rebuild kit and kingpins and bushings coming and will be getting those reamers, I thought I saw something about reaming the spring shackle bushing too?
Are you trying to please a hard corps purist or enjoy your car? No reaming was necessary on my springs or the shackle bushings that I replaced.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #22
Certimafied

Oh I want to, and will enjoy the car for sure! I can appreciate but will never own a trailer queen. Ive worked in the Ferrari world a while now, I never understood buying a car for gobs of money, spending thousands in maintenance a year and never driving the car and enjoying as the car it was designed to be. The best line I've heard about that was online it went something like "Not driving your Ferrari is like saving your girlfriend for her next boyfriend" still makes me laugh.

Chris your right, I need to worry about how I want to enjoy it. There is an ass for every seat as they say! Whenever I do go to sell the car im sure I will find someone that finds it just right!
Certimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:42 AM   #23
Crankster

Default Spring Re-arching

I drilled down a little bit into the leaf spring re-arching concept a few years ago, as it was suggested as a way to save money.

It looks to me with labor rates the way they are it isn't really cost effective. And you have to be careful on how things are defined. "Cold" re-arching is just what it sounds like, and is said not to offer very lasting results. In order to be done right, the leaf springs need to be reheated to cherry red or whatever properly, re-arched, and then shot-peened and the rest of it. This can get expensive, or at least more than the cost of a new set of springs. Shipping charges loom in the equation, however.

It is generally true that the folks who claim cold re-arching doesn't work very well are often the same folks who want to sell you new springs. Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances, I guess.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:35 PM   #24
Chris Haynes

Posies sells a variety of springs from reproduction of original to springs that will lower the height of your car.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:22 PM   #25
Certimafied

Crankster that was brought my question up about the arching. Wasn't sure if it would be worth all the work especially if in a short period of time they went flat again.

Ok great, sounds like I need to make some phone calls and sort pricing out. It sounds like either company will provide me with a good solid new part.

Thanks for the input everybody!
Old 11-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #26
Chris Haynes

Posies may charge shipping. Speedway ships them free.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:32 PM   #27
alexiskai

Speedway doesn't sell the stock eye version, do they? I didn't see it on there.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #28
Gene F

It has been my experience that even though you can not see it, at least one of the leafs are broken.

Get a new spring. The show quality ones are the exact thickness. The other ones are fine, just don't expect to ever get the cotter pins back in the front U-bolts. If you like, you can use some lock washers. Might think about new spring perches at this time too. They are a bummer to get out of the axle. I have never heard of anyone actually getting the old bushings out, and the new ones in without the perch either breaking, or being more work that it is worth.

I changed my front spring, and it made quite a difference.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:29 PM   #29
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
It has been my experience that even though you can not see it, at least one of the leafs are broken.

Get a new spring. The show quality ones are the exact thickness. The other ones are fine, just don't expect to ever get the cotter pins back in the front U-bolts. If you like, you can use some lock washers. Might think about new spring perches at this time too. They are a bummer to get out of the axle. I have never heard of anyone actually getting the old bushings out, and the new ones in without the perch either breaking, or being more work that it is worth.

I changed my front spring, and it made quite a difference.
I have seen it done many times. Many shackles wear through the bushing and into the perch meaning some welding needs to be done. I don't think it is worth the trouble trying to get the perch out unless the axle is bent, the perch is beyond repair, or the radius rods are beyond repair. They are absolutely horrible 95% of the time.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:18 PM   #30
Certimafied

Thanks for the pointers everybody!

I got a spring and shackles with bushings coming. I decided to go with A-springs. More personal than anything, they seem like a smaller company and who doesn't like the underdog? I love my A and want to enjoy (and will) but shes made it 92 years being as original as possible she deserves to stay as original as possible. And even with the old sagging, possible broken spring she really doesn't ride all that bad, so a-springs it is. If I have to order more parts and wait that is fine as I have a few other thing I want to do anyway. Fingers crossed I can keep its to just these components, The parts and tool list seems to keep growing at an already money tight time of the year.. I guess everything wants some gifts this season, model a included!

Thanks again everybody! The support for a new enthusiast really helps the confidence and want to keep going. I want another to compliment my current A! Maybe a Tudor sedan flavor next?
No! A pickup of course!
Old 11-12-2021, 10:34 AM   #31
Standing Elk

Last year I was facing the same issue as you are. I decided to have mine retempered as well as re arched. There was a good spring shop not to far from where I live and they did an awsome job.
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote