Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Admiral

Default 1937 Steering-Box Parts

I just rebuilt a dandy 1937 steering box that I’m installing in my ‘36 sedan. The box is ready to go, but I’m short a few important components related to the headlight switch and horn. Can someone please show me what parts I’m missing (part numbers?) and where I can get them? The steering box is ready to go in the car aside from these AWOL pieces, which I’d like to have ready before completing the install.

And here are some of the parts I have from the original '36 box. I also bought a new bail for a '37 Ford (the shiny, cadmium-colored one).

Now, for proper fitment, I opted to put a new steering-box bracket in, which meant the old one had to be removed. Drilling and grinding the four rivets that attach it to the frame is an easy-enough, if annoying task, but beware of the hidden spot weld! This may be common knowledge, but rather than attempting to drill it out, which would have been a terrible game of whack-a-mole since it was impossible to see, I bolted a piece of scrap steel to the bracket and worked it back and forth a few times until the weld gave out. Fortunately, it broke off cleanly and with minimal effort. Give this a shot if you’re attempting the same steering-box swap.

Thanks, guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937-Steering-Box-Install-01.jpg (112.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 1937-Steering-Box-Install-02.jpg (127.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1937-Steering-Box-Install-04.jpg (115.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 1937-Steering-Box-Install-05.jpg (73.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 1937-Steering-Box-Install-06.jpg (131.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 1937-Steering-Box-Install-07.jpg (92.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 1937-Steering-Box-Install-08.jpg (147.1 KB, 67 views)
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 1937 Steering-Box Parts

The Green Book list all of the parts and part numbers. There are illustrations as well. Here is an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_SteeringGear_1933to36.jpg (55.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_SteeringGear_1937-39.jpg (45.5 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-18-2018 at 10:13 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
Steve in Denver

Many thanks for taking this project on and posting pictures. After I get the smoke put back in the wires and get my '36 5W Cp rewired, I will be taking on the installation of hydraulic brakes and upgrading the steering just as you have.

A few questions, what did you do about the steering wheel lock? I have the '37 column as you have shown in your picture. I have looked in Mac's and Drake's book and do not see the lock collar anywhere.

Since you did not remove the engine, what kind of grinder did you use to reach straight down and grind off the two top rivets?
Steve
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #4
cas3

it looks to me like you are only missing the spring3642, and the two pronged thingy that turns the switch 3643, and the clip 3644 that holds it all up there.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, the whole light switch assemble is not shown in the photos for starters.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #6
deuce lover

In '37 the bracket & bale for the light switch changed.You need to find those parts and they (at least the bracket)are not reproduced.If you have the locking collar from your '36 it will work.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kennedy View Post
Many thanks for taking this project on and posting pictures. After I get the smoke put back in the wires and get my '36 5W Cp rewired, I will be taking on the installation of hydraulic brakes and upgrading the steering just as you have.

A few questions, what did you do about the steering wheel lock? I have the '37 column as you have shown in your picture. I have looked in Mac's and Drake's book and do not see the lock collar anywhere.

Since you did not remove the engine, what kind of grinder did you use to reach straight down and grind off the two top rivets?
Steve
Actually, I still have the steering-column lock, it's just not shown in any of the above pictures. It appears that it will line up perfectly with the '36 column tube and ignition assembly, though I might have to slide it up or down slightly so it engages properly.

As for the rivets, I center-punched them, then drilled 'em in two stages to clear out some of the bulk, then I took the heads off with a Ryobi angle grinder similar to this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-6-5-Amp-4-1-2-in-Angle-Grinder-AG4531G/205558214

The rivets are tight, likely swelled between the various metal thicknesses of the frame, but not overly difficult to remove. Just take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Well, the whole light switch assemble is not shown in the photos for starters.
Yep, those parts are hanging from the car. Of course, I've also got the spring, e-clip and two-pronged fork thing (part No. 3643).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
In '37 the bracket & bale for the light switch changed.You need to find those parts and they (at least the bracket)are not reproduced.If you have the locking collar from your '36 it will work.
Yeah, I'm trying to ascertain what exactly I need to get my hands on. To attach the headlight-switch/horn assembly I'm guessing I need parts 78-3569 and 78-3597 but I'm not exactly sure...
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

See if any of these help (not 37 box). The first one is 39-40 and the second one 28-36, but the parts are similar.

You already have the 3597 part! It is the plate with the tube on it. It is going to help a lot if you understand what these parts do. The tube goes up through the steering box to the top. The shaft from the steering wheel switch goes down through it and out the bottom of the box. The tube keeps the lube from pouring out the bottom of the box. The tube must have a good seal to the plate or it will leak (this is a common problem). Spend some time figuring out the function of each part and think that will help a lot!! I would guess that you might be able to use your 36 parts on the exterior of your 37 steering box, but not positive about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39ford-40.jpg (98.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 1928-1936-FORD-HEADLIGHT-SWITCH-PARTS-KIT earlyfordstore.jpg (30.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SteeringGear_1937-39.jpg (81.4 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 02-19-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #9
deuce lover

In the first pic its hard to tell how the bracket is but appears correct.A little cleaning to see would help.The bracket in second pic is not correct.37 ,38, 39 are all the same.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote