Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2023, 03:25 PM   #1
30aadoodlebug

Default Help with installing a 41 ford transmission

The title says it all. I pulled the transmission in my 41 and rebuilt it due to a blown bearing. Now, it's install time and I can't get the input shaft to line up enough to let the shaft slide in the clutch and drop the rear mounts on the donuts. I'm missing something stupid simple here I'm sure. Thanks in advance!
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:31 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Help with installing a 41 ford transmission

Remove the inspection cover. Jack up the rear of the engine. Put one of the levers in gear so you can turn the u joint and that will turn the input shaft to help with alignment. You can also make a couple of dowels from 3/8” all thread and screw them in the block to aid in alignment.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:32 PM   #3
Als48

Are you using a splined clutch alignment tool. Most folks who have replaced a clutch have one on hand. It aligns the clutch disc with the pilot bearing. Im sure you know that tho.
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 03:59 PM   #4
Flathead Fever

Did you remove the clutch. Normally when it won't go back in the clutch disc and pilot bearing are out of alignment. I have a bunch of used input shafts I use for clutch alignment tools; they work better than the old wooden dowels they sold. If you replace the pilot bearing, clutch disc and throw-out bearing always make sure they slide onto the trans first before installing them. That way you know for sure they fit and you're just fighting an alignment problem and not a wrong part. Every once in a while, at work we would get a trans that despite everything being lined up just did not want to slide in. What worked really well was disabling the engine so it could not start. Hooking up a remote starter switch and cranking the engine while you shoved on the back of the trans. If you have a helper have them, get in the car and crank the engine while you push on the trans. Just make sure that engine cannot start. They usually slip in doing that. Kens alignment dowels are a good idea. I used to cut the heads off of long bolts and then grind a chamfer on them When I was young and working on the ground at home, I used them while trying to bench press transmissions back up in on my Mustangs. It was nice to be able to be able to stop and take a rest with the trans on a fl started on the dowel pins. Now that I have a hoist and a trans jack at home I can take my time and look around the bellhousing to see that I have an equal space between it and the block. The trans jack lets you make all kinds of little angle adjustments. If it's not a perfectly lined up it won't slip in. Make sure you have the same spacing all around that bell housing, so you are not trying to put it in at an angle.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
richard crow

do as ken says but to make the job ezer use a set of guide studs one on each side of the bell housing
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
blucar

The use of a pilot shaft, either a store bought one or an input shaft from a transmission is a must have item to make sure the clutch disk is aligned with everything before you try to install the transmission. If the trans is less than a half inch from sliding in put your foot on the rear of the trans and tap the starter button just long enough for a brief turn of the engine. The trans will usually slip right in to place.

Of course, hopefully the seat is out of the car so you have full access to the trans from the top in lieu of trying to do the installation while laying on the ground.
The starter trick was showed to me by a professional mechanic when I was 16 years old and had been fighting with a trans for two days.