Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2022, 05:41 PM   #1
30aadoodlebug

Default K.R. Wilson v126 battery hitch up help

Hey All,

So I asked for advice on this before, and got some great information from people, but I am missing one very import part of using the timing jig; I cant figure out how to get power to it.

I have two jumpers from a 6 volt lantern battery going to the terminals in the box of the jig. No light. I had the light working at first, and now I have nothing. Changed the bulb, and I know the new one is good (lights up on both posts of the battery.)

I rewired the whole thing (two wires) and cleaned up all the contact points. Still no light...

Unfortunately the site will not let me post pictures because Im missing some kind of security token. I do have them, and will send via p.m. if I can.
Im missing something stupid simple Im sure, just what am I missing????

Thanks in advance for the help,

Jon
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 08:06 PM   #2
VeryTangled

Default Re: K.R. Wilson v126 battery hitch up help

Jon, try the pics 1 or 2 at a time. Seen that token jazz when trying several @ a time.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
Don

You should have a single wire with clip coming from battery box this wire connects to points on dist and when points close you get a light or just connecting the wire to frame of jig it should light.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #4
Terry,OH

I have forgotten how many D cell batteries in the 126 (2 or 3?) Each is 1.5V to replace with a 6V battery there should be 4 D cells, otherwise your putting too much voltage on the light bulb, which would shorten the bulb life.

If you touch the one clip wire to any part of the metal frame supporting the distributor the light should illuminate.
A second type of 126 does not have the wire clip it has a spring loaded terminal. In this case you have to have a short wire jumper from the terminal to any part of the supporting frame for the light to illuminate.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 02-23-2022 at 01:22 PM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:08 PM   #5
v8fordman

[QUOTE=Don;2107458]You should have a single wire with clip coming from battery box this wire connects to points on dist and when points close you get a light or just connecting the wire to frame of jig it should light.[/QUOT

With respect, actually I believe there should be two wires coming from the battery “compartment “. One goes to the alligator clip while the other one goes under the disc and attaches to an insulated piece of brass that the bulb end touches when screwed into the bulb socket. If you painted the fixture, you have to make sure your distributor grounds. To check this touch the alligator clip to a bare metal area of the fixture and the distributor body (with points closed). The light should come on when you touch either. The earliest versions did have the spring loaded terminals but they are rare. In the service bulletins, Ford asked dealers to upgrade that version and convert them to the ones with alligator clips. I have restored several of these fixtures. Also, 6v is too much. You probably blew the bulb. It’s a flashlight bulb.

Another problem area is where the wires attach to the battery terminals. Many times the small screws that hold the terminals to the wood (if you have the early version) are enlarged and don’t allow for a good, tight connection. Make sure your wires are clean and your brass terminals are not corroded where they touch the wires. If you have the metal box version, remove the small screw and nut. Clean all connections but be easy on the insulators as they will be fragile from age.

All this is assuming your bulb is good as well as your two “D” batteries.

Last edited by v8fordman; 02-23-2022 at 09:17 PM.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote