Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2023, 12:43 PM   #1
30aadoodlebug

Default Spring spreader needed to pull rear end on a 41?

Hey all,

I getting ready to swap transmissions in my 41 woodie and wanted to know if I need to drop the rear end from the rear spring with a spreader off the shackles. Can I just back the whole thing out with the spring attached and no spreading?

Thanks in advance,

Jon
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:56 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Spring spreader needed to pull rear end on a 41?

[QUOTE=30aadoodlebug;2205838]Hey all,

I getting ready to swap transmissions in my 41 woodie and wanted to know if I need to drop the rear end from the rear spring with a spreader off the shackles. Can I just back the whole thing out with the spring attached and no spreading?
/QUOTE]

Yes, you can back the whole thing out. A couple of things to remember, though. Because of the high arch of the spring UNLOADED, you really do have to get the rear of the car up there. And don't forget that you'll have a hydraulic brake hose at the front of torque tube leaving little room to roll backwards. Same thing with the parking brake cable. Go for it!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:06 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

To give myself more wiggle room when I'm backing out the entire rear end and drive shaft, I remove the wheels and roll the assembly out from under the car on the drums. You shouldn't have to do that if you're just swapping out the transmission. And no, you will not have to use a spring spreader.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 01:35 PM   #4
HDowse

I pulled the transmission on my '37 pickup a few weeks ago. I left the spring on the axle and I did find it helpful to use a spring spreader to lower the arch of the spring. I supported the axle with a floor jack with a cross arm and pads that meet the axle just inboard of the backing plates. I strapped the axle to the cross arm with some tie down straps and pulled the jack back freeing the torque tube from the universal joint. It went pretty easily.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:17 PM   #5
Flathead Fever

I have a pair of those heavy-duty truck jack stands that gets the frame way up in the air so you have room to get the rearend out with the spring on it. Anytime you take the wheels off a vehicle slide them back under the car. And put chock blocks on the front wheels if you are not jacking them up. If the car was to fall off the jackstands it will at least land on the tires. I've never had one fall off in 40-years of doing it for a living, but it does happen. Cap off the brake lines to keep moisture from getting into the system. brake fluid is hydroscopic, it attracts moisture. Plus, you don't want the master cylinder to run dry or you'll have to bleed the air out of it. Since you're going to be there anyway flush the brake fluid out of all four wheels. It is supposed to be changed every two-years because of the moisture it absorbs.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #6
19Fordy

It has been my experience that you really have to raise the rear of your 40 high in the air in order for the rear spring to clear everything so you can roll it out without removing the spring. That makes me nervous so I opt for removing the rear spring first. Then roll rear out.
Plus, my gas tank is 2 inches deeper than stock. Stock tank should require less removal height.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9195.jpg (58.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9213.jpg (48.5 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9221.jpg (47.6 KB, 78 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 01:11 PM   #7
30aadoodlebug

Ok, I assume I just loosen the u bolt to the frame and raise it after everything else is disconnected? Im going to build a cradle out of 2x10s and lift the rear of the body up with my chain fall. should be fairly easy from what you all have described from there.

Thanks for all the help guys!
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 07:42 PM   #8
Ken/Alabama

On my 40, I put the floor Jack under the banjo housing and Jack it up high. Then place Jack stands on each side ahead of the rear wheels. After everything is disconnected, I lower the Jack just enough for the spring to clear the cross member then roll it back on the Jack far enough to clear the transmission. I don’t have to remove the wheels.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 06:15 AM   #9
HDowse

I do the same as Ken/Alabama except I remove the wheels so I can disconnect the shocks from the frame. But I first raise the front end up onto drive on ramps using the floor jack. Then I jack up the rear. With the jack stands set on the frame high enough to allow the spring to clear the cross member and the gas tank the truck is level and there’s plenty of room underneath for me to rest on the creeper while I contemplate the next series of steps. Small pillow on the creeper helps.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 11:56 AM   #10
flatford8

“ there’s plenty of room underneath for me to rest on the creeper while I contemplate the next series of steps. Small pillow on the creeper helps.”........
And a great place to take a nap!!!!........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote