Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #21
CHuDWah

Default Re: Sport Coupe rumble seat brace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
"I'm surprised no one mentioned the most obvious difference...the cabriolet is a convertible, the sport coupe isn't."

Indeed so, "CHuDWah". You are correct. But that only becomes apparent when one tries to put the top down. Then the difference between the two body styles becomes obvious. In a stationary position with the top up and not knowing that the landau irons fold on a Cabriolet, one might assume the car is a Sport Coupe. The Sport Coupe and the Cabriolet are absolutely kissing cousins. The OP and the owner of the vehicle should be very pleased to read that he/they have a rare and valuable body style on his/their hands. Is the owner sure he wants to flog it on the open market? Why not keep it? It is for sure money in the bank now and even more so in the future. Rarity and quality always command the highest prices. And a slant windshield Cabriolet will always be in high demand.
Marshall

Yes, the difference is apparent when the cabriolet's top is down and the sport coupe's isn't. There are other differences, some of which you listed earlier, and I agree those more subtle details might not be recognized by someone unfamiliar with the two body styles. Again, I was just surprised the seemingly most obvious difference hadn't been mentioned.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:59 PM   #22
Ayers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
The only "dummies" we have in this country live in Washington, D.C., now and probably since Millard Fillmore was President.
M.
I can't agree with you more!!!!
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:07 PM   #23
Ayers1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Just to be clear, I wasn't implying any dummy-ness on your part. Like I said, I'm just surprised that major difference hadn't been mentioned. Having restored a sport coupe and lusted after (but sadly never owned) a cabriolet, it's obvious to me. But maybe not so much to someone unfamiliar with those body styles.

There are a few on here that would be quick to point out how wrong I was. I do feel that I should have noticed more details but I was concentrating more on getting it going than what it truly was. If you want one this auction company is willing to ship. I'll post a link once it goes active.
Old 08-12-2022, 10:37 PM   #24
chrs1961815

Don't think that it will go out of your price range yet. Most auctions bring prices that are either way too low or way too high for these cars. Most people probably wouldn't know how rare of a car this is.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:31 AM   #25
Ayers1

They have sold several Model A's in the last year or two. The previous ones have been extremely nice and have brought around 20k. They have all been common body styles, coupe, roadster, etc. I'm anxious to see what this one brings!
Old 08-13-2022, 04:13 PM   #26
Kevin in NJ

The brace is structural and not for adjusting the body. The quarter panel is not able to bend at the front edge.

When the top is up there will be an incrediable amount of stress on the door pillors. The cowl can move quite a bit with respect to the rear part of the body as the frame flexes.

To handle the amount of force these braces are put in place. The door dove tails are important parts to keep the back edge of the door from beating itself to death.

The plywood floor in the rumble area indicated it may have some interesting adaptations. Older restorations were done by guys who knew how coupes and such were built and the the cabriolets were built different. So you must always approach these cars with careful consideration. That is they may be very poorly built. I know of an example that was in NJ.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 05:31 PM   #27
Ayers1

Thanks for the informative Kevin! I'll look it over very closely before I try to get it.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:18 AM   #28
Ayers1

I have sad news for this car. After I got it started and running well, the owner decided she didn't want to sell. I guess a lot of memories for her. I was anxious to see what it was going to bring.

Que sera sera,
Old 09-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #29
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayers1 View Post
I have sad news for this car. After I got it started and running well, the owner decided she didn't want to sell. I guess a lot of memories for her. I was anxious to see what it was going to bring.

Que sera sera,

I hear ya about wanting to see what it would bring. OTOH, I like to see a car stay in a family, especially if it's a long-term member of that family. Wish now I'd kept a few that I didn't - guess I'm just a sentimental old softy.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #30
Ayers1

I was hoping to have a shot at buying it. I'm an old softie myself, I just inherited my dad's 28 Fordor that he bought in '63 when I was a year old. I understand her wanting to hang on to it.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #31
WHN

I’ve been working around Sport Coupes since 1963, and have never seen those in one.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #32
Ayers1

WHN, I had originally thought it was a Sport Coupe but after posting a picture I was told it's actually a Cabriolet. I worked on it to get it ready to be auctioned and then the owner changed her mind and decided to keep it. Maybe something else will come along.
Old 09-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #33
Kevin in NJ

Sport coupe, all the work of a cabriolet but the top does not go down.

It is a bunch of work and cost to put the top on but without the fun of putting the top down.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:37 PM   #34
Ayers1

True Kevin, I can only assume that back then people still liked/wanted the look of an open car but really appreciated the niceties of a closed car.