Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #1
Licensed to kill

Default Just playing with my new toy

So, it rained today so i had some time to look over my new toy ('31 fordor). I'm told it has not been driven on the road in something like 30 years. Threw it up on the lift ( a bit of a chore with a 2 post with the brake rods in the way) and greased it I'm sure for the first time in those 30 years. Only 2 alemite zerks, all the rest are the original ones but fortunately, when I bought my '31 DD it had a grease gun under the seat. They all took grease readily save the clutch pedal. Everything looks and feels nice and tight. Wiring for the tail light was a mess so I redid it. The brake pedal was lower than the clutch pedal so I adjusted it to find that the brake light stayed on (probably why it was misadjusted in the first place). There was a slight bend in the rod from the pedal, straightened it out and the light went out. If fixed the drivers door latch, it wasn't working right and while in there found that it had the wrong window regulator so ordered the right one. Regarding the starting and running of the car in my other thread, I have found that it starts and runs best with the gav turned in all the way. It idles well but when I rev it up it shakes and is rather loud. I checked the rear motor mounts and the rubbers are new on the one side but not on the other. haven't checked the front one yet. The oil leak was mostly from the transmission. Found it to be way over full. Small leak from the rear seal it appears. Tires are good for holding it up in a garage but I will be putting new ones on it next year as I plan to drive it and the tires are too old for that IMO. BTW, how much grease should a guy give the zerks at the ends of the rear axle??.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote