Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #21
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Help! It won't run. MORE HELP!!

DO see your fuel flow TOO the carb prior to taking it apart.
With a full tank it should flow with a strong flow like a contestant in a peeing contest.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
solsticerick

Thank you, Thank you!!
I have changed the condenser, actually before the last start. How do I test the condenser??
30ccpickup, thanks for the url of the Modelabasics. Tremendous resource!

Today, I thought that I would check the plug gaps and the points. The plug gaps were about .021 and the points about.015. Also the plugs looked pretty good, although there was some black carbon deposits, but it was all dry and not thick. When I adj the points,and was tightening up the set screw on the point block, the block just crumbled! So, now before I do anything else, I have to get a new point block!!! Or, should I just get a "Modern Upper Dist Plate"?
Then, I will be on to the carb!
solsticerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #23
Chris Chicago

I'm not the expert like some of these guys, BUT I think Jason, TX and Tom, Mpls are correct about the fuel problem. Here's why!

When purchased a knowledgeable guy got my 29 PU started. I then proceeded to clean & fix all the little things a green horn could do. .

Being happy took a ride and had your problems. Truck ran for awhile & die. It may or may not start. When it did go again, it wasn't for long.

Cleaning the motor compartment I noticed the gas line into the carburetor stuck out fairly far. (In my opinion ) So it was loosen up & pushed further in. I pushed it in far enough to touch the wall of the carburetor so I could only go as far as the gas in the carb. Stopping to check this or that gave enough time for gas to, not fill but leak into the carburetor. Again it start right up & only go as far as gas in the bowl of the carburetor could take me.

A few older model "A"er's found the problem. Their big joke was to see if I didn't push the tube out the tail pipe.

Hope this may be of help and yours is a simple fuel problem.
Chris Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
solsticerick

The info on ModelABasics is fantastic!!
I gapped the plugs to .035, they were at .020; the points were also too close. Problem however - the point block literally fell apart upon screw tightening!! So, I have to get a new one.

Tom and Chris both mention the amount of gas line that extends past the ferrule, into the carb can be a problem, how much is correct?

Thanks to everyone for the help!!
solsticerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
Napa Skip

You only need 1/16" to 1/8" of the fuel line extending past the ferrule (actually you don't need any line to extend past the ferrule and I've even seen some where the ferrule extended past - and was compressed over - the end of the line, but just enough line extending past the ferrule for the ferrule to compress around without so much line extending into the carburetor that the fuel flow is restricted is what is needed).
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
Geo. H

Have you tried removing the gas line and blowing back through it? I think you have a fuel delivery problem.
Geo. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #27
Car Pit

I just rebuilt mine and am having the identical experience. I'm running with an electronic ignition so the condenser isn't my problem. I'm inclined to think my problem is fuel delivery due to visible rust deposits I see in the sediment bowl or the shiny new gas cap I just bought. Going to flush and fill the tank tomorrow and will let you know if I have success.
Car Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #28
kingbee

Send a message via AIM to kingbee

My vote is for a poorly venting gas cap, or a fuel line sticking too far into the carb, or a very dirty fuel filter, of which you have two or three, depending on whether there is one on the fuel shut off in the tank.
It truly sounds like a classic restricted fuel flow problem.
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #29
Car Pit

Mine was fuel starvation. Fuel filter on the shut off valve was clogged. The new vented cap actually vented like it is supposed to.
Hope you find your issue quickly.
Car Pit is offline   Reply With Quote