Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
tuneman

Default What is your driving style?

Dr
How do you drive? Daylight only, short local trips! My wife and i drive lots of long trips . We drive during the day and also think nothing of driving at night. I have 12 volt system in my 30 town sedan. We charge up cell phones while driving. We have a cb also , we have xm radio and gps!
We go where we want when we want. We converted to halagen headlights
and they are like driving a modern car. bright tail lights for safty. So its your choice . Study whats out there and how you will be driving. then make an informed choice. Hope this helps
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #22
James Rogers

Default Re: Generator verses Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
Okay I ordered a 6 volt alternator for now it can be positive or negative ground it depends on how I hook it up. So I will need to connect the cable to the starter from the negative post on the battery so would this make it a positive ground system like it should be? The other cable goes to the transmission and the positive terminal on the battery. So this is how it should be originally? I hope this is correct? I will search for a generator as well later on I just want to get the car up and running again. Will the amp meter still function the same way as when the generator was working?
You will likely get instructions on how to connect the alternator in with it. This will tell you NOT TO HOOK IT UP WRONG since this can destroy the battery, is dangerous, and can destroy the alternator. There is NO alternator that will hook up either way right out of the box. Generally, the 6 volt alternators are positive ground but, some could be negatively grounded. Make sure you follow directions when connecting it.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR View Post
Okay I ordered a 6 volt alternator for now it can be positive or negative ground it depends on how I hook it up. So I will need to connect the cable to the starter from the negative post on the battery so would this make it a positive ground system like it should be? The other cable goes to the transmission and the positive terminal on the battery. So this is how it should be originally? I hope this is correct? I will search for a generator as well later on I just want to get the car up and running again. Will the amp meter still function the same way as when the generator was working?

Never heard of such an alt, who makes it and where did you buy it?

OOPs, posted this before I read through to the post by James Rogers.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:09 AM   #24
RonC

Here's how you can make your own alternator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMl-4VQBFOQ

try this if you want to buy or convert your own

http://www.alternatorparts.com/6_volt_stuff.htm
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #25
dfish2931nc

Send a message via ICQ to dfish2931nc

Thanks for the links RonC. Maybe this is the place some of the venders are getting their alternators. Prices are sure better.
dfish2931nc is offline   Reply With Quote