Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Tom Wesenberg

Default Homemade Tools Flywheel Puller

Here's a very handy, easy to make tool that you could make. I bought a piece of aluminum 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 13 3/8", then drilled two 5/16" holes 10 13/16" apart to bolt it to the flywheel. I then milled a 3/8" slot 11/16" deep in each end. I use my slide hammer in the slots, pulling side to side and the flywheel is quickly removed to the two head studs I use as guides to keep the flywheel from dropping on my feet. After the flywheel is resting on the studs I remove the nuts and use the aluminum bar as a handle to carry the flywheel to the workbench.
I center punched the middle of the bar just in case I needed to drill and tap it for a bolt to push against the crankshaft, but so far I find that isn't needed. When I mount the bar to the flywheel I like to keep it as parallel to the two dowel pins as possible. I also mark the flywheel, pressure plate and crankshaft so they go back exactly as they came off to keep it in balance.

I don't own a vertical mill, so I drilled 3/8" holes 1/2" in from the ends of the bar. I then used my milling attachment on my lathe and lined up the holes with the 3/8" end mill in the hole. I then turned the cross feed until the mill cut the slot to the end of the bar.

An alternate way to make this tool would be to have 4" of the bar sticking beyond the flywheel, so you could grab them and rock the flywheel back and forth to remove it. In this case you'd probably want to drill and tap the center hole for a bolt to push against the crankshaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Flywheel Remover 1.jpg (73.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Homemade Tools Flywheel Remover 2.jpg (45.2 KB, 64 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
ian Simpson

Default Re: Homemade Tools Flywheel Puller

Tom, this is the tool I need. Thank you
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote