Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
gearheadbill

Default 34 pickup spare side mount carrier

Can anyone tell me whether the largest 'arm' of the spare mount is cast or forged?. May need soapily a little heat if its forged. Thanks

small 'support arm' not shown
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180530_182000_resized.jpg (15.8 KB, 18 views)
gearheadbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
Flathead Fever

Default Re: 34 pickup spare side mount carrier

There is also a plate that goes on the inside the cab that reinforces the sheet metal. Most people did not save it when they removed the spare tire carrier bracket. I looked a long time for this one. I had to buy this whole set just to get that stupid plate. Its nothing that you couldn't make with a vise and a big hammer, if you got desperate for one. Its 1/8" thick. 3 1/4" top to bottom. After all the bending is done it is 2 3/8" wide. The plate has a 3/4" offset. The first bend, on the side where the round holes are is 90 degrees. That bend starts 7/8" from the edge. Then it bends back in the opposite direction but its not a full 90 degree bend. It you lay it like I have it on the piece of paper and measure from the paper up 3/4" that is where it starts the second bend. If you go to the side of the plate and measure from the paper to the top of the plate its 1 3/16", That should get that bend close to the correct angle.

I'm not sure if the big arm is forged or not? There are thin lines on both sides that look more like casting separations. The lines are not flat like if it was forged. It could be cast steel, cast ductile iron. There is a grinder spark test to determine if it is cast iron or cast steel. The sparks are different colored. I'm pretty sure you don't want to be grinding on your bracket. Like "34 pickup" said below, a forging will ring when you hit it. If you hit an early Ford axle it rings for a long time. You can watch this video comparing the sound of a cast crank to a forged one. It would be harder to hear the difference with a smaller part like your bracket. More than the sound difference but how long it rings might be a better indication?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZhAATjf1BQ

I would think it would have been forged because of the weight of the rim and tire. I've never seen a broken one which makes me think its forged. Its heavy for its size like its been forged. The hole where the small arm attaches looks forged. The back side of the flat end that attaches to the frame has a small recess in the middle that looks like is was cast. Like that was where they poured the metal in to the mold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190207_162720.jpg (36.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190207_162733.jpg (46.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190207_162740.jpg (43.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190207_171701.jpg (20.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190207_171718.jpg (28.8 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-07-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
34pickup

Hit it with a hammer and see if it rings.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #4
mercman from oz

The shape of your 1934 Ford Pickup Spare Tyre Bracket seems to be the correct shape, as it is similar to the one in this picture. In your picture, you don't show the small bracket shown here.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #5
gearheadbill

Thanks guys. I have all the pieces and parts, but the large vertical member that bolts to the frame does not come thru the fender where the hole in the fender is; a little too far ahead. Rather than enlarge the hole in the fender I thought I'd try to heat and bend it a bit....see if I can fudge it. Everything fits/works great except the fender, which is already painted. The truck did not have the spare bracketry installed when I purchased it. Now I may know why.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
gearheadbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34pickup View Post
Hit it with a hammer and see if it rings.
I'd forgotten that. Will do!