Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
AForUs

Default Front Fender Spare Tire Inquiry

Hi All!

Does anyone know which Model A models had a spare tire mounted in the FRONT PASSENGER FENDER? I am trying to figure out if the one in my car was added somewhere in the past or maybe an option when the car was new or came stock. My car is a 1930 and is either a modified Standard Sedan or Town Sedan or De Luxe Sedan. I can’t tell. There have been a few modifications. Thanks for your help. Steve
AForUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:31 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: Front Fender Spare Tire Inquiry

Look to see if the bracket is riveted to the frame or if it is bolted on.There would be no earthly reason for a dealer,or anybody except the factory to maintain the equipment or take the time to rivet when three bolts would work just fine.Although there are some nowadays that might go through the effort.There was a telephone truck in the family that had a passenger side mounted spare.It was riveted.I have done work on a 29 pickup with a riveted right spare,but we know no history of it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:09 AM   #3
AForUs

Thanks for your reply. Based on statements made, I did a bit more research.

The passenger side of the rail shows bolt holes for the mount. The mount is not welded. The four-hole bolt pattern on the rail looks to be made at a factory because the holes are perfectly round. Plus, the same bolt-hole pattern is on the driver side rail as well. This tells me that this frame could be used for fender mounted spare tires for either side. Maybe that’s the way all frames were made.

There is a picture of the actual mount. It shows a big bolt in the middle and three smaller holes for bolts. The spare tire cup in the fender looks to be stamped at a factory, not welded in.

There is a picture showing tire mount bracket holes in the back for the spare tire. I bought the car with a trunk rack and trunk on the back and no spare on the back, just the front passenger side.

Then, there are cowl lights that look to be added on at the factory because the holes are perfect. Does not look like someone drilled into the metal. But, what about the rear ceiling light placement?

I still don’t know what model this car is. It’s a Briggs body, to be sure. But, is it a modified Standard Fordor Sedan, a Fordor Town Sedan or a De Luxe Fordor Sedan? Maybe I should just call it a Fordor and be done with it.

This is fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ceiling light.jpg (12.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg driver rail.jpg (12.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Fordor.jpg (11.4 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg passenger rail.jpg (11.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg rear mount.jpg (11.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg tire mount.jpg (14.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-01-2023, 10:28 AM   #4
JayJay

This does not appear to be a Town Sedan. TS (and Deluxe Fordor?) interior lights were installed at the rear above the rear window, not central as yours is. Also, TS have a pull-down armrest in the rear seat back while Fordor and Deluxe Fordor did not, you can check that. If you look inside the headlight buckets you can see if there is an unused socket that would have housed the original parking lights, if there is then it’s a certain thing the cowl lights were added subsequent to manufacture.

Judging from the “free floating” spare tire bracket in your picture, it appears that was bolted to the frame, not riveted. If that bracket is from the left side, pretty sure bet you have an upgraded Fordor. It was not at all uncommon to do this during the restoration frenzy of the 1960’s - 1980’s. Aftermarket fenders with integral wheel wells were available then. I believe all frames were predrilled for spare tire mounts on both sides (at least later frames).

TS had pull down shades on the rear quarter windows, Fordor did not. Those could easily have been added later during the restoration so presence is not definitive.

Fordor did not have assist straps, Deluxe Fordor did. Again, these could easily be added after manufacture.

Standard Fordor had a round dome light, Deluxe Fordor had oval.

I think you have a Standard Fordor that has been upgraded to be more than it came from the factory.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 11-01-2023 at 10:51 AM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 11:05 AM   #5
gdmn852

Hello, I believe Ford Dealers could add side mounts and rumble seats ,coupes and roadsters on cars not equipped as Ford accessories, but as mentioned most likely added when restored. Most of the Model A trucks usually Have a right side mount. Sidemount and rumble seat being a dealer upgrade meant more money.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 12:00 PM   #6
Keith True

There is no welding involved.Factory was riveted on,and dealer or owner installed would have been bolted,as yours looks to be.I don't believe I've ever seen a factory riveted right spare mount on a pickup except for special applications.(such as the phone company trucks) Overall production trucks had left side mounts.I like a right side mount on a truck.I'm the driver,I'm the one that has to fight the steering wheel to get in and out,I don't like to fight the spare tire too.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 05:31 PM   #7
Cape Codder

AForUs - Your car is NOT a DeLuxe as it would have to be a Blind Back which is NO WINDOWS in rear Qtr. As to the folding arm rest in rear THEY ARE IN A DELUXE and I believe in a Town Sedan. What I can see is that the door trim under the rear door is not correct for a Town Sedan BUT someone could have not installed them last time the door was apart.

The best indication to find out if it is a true Town Sedan feel above the rear window for a square/rectangle block of wood which should be there if a T/S. Then Remove REAR back rest to see if there is a CENTER arm rest! If those TWO parts are there I would say it is a T/S!

Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:02 AM   #8
AForUs

Wow. Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide so much info. I will continue with the suggested investigations to determine what body type this might be. By the way, I posted a few more videos of the restoration if anyone is interested. Have a great day. Steve https://www.youtube.com/@fordorforus