Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
mercman from oz

Default 1963 1/2 Racing Mercury Fastbacks

Hi there, I have a query about these 1963 1/2 Racing Mercury Fastbacks.
I have numerous pictures of them competing in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb as well as some in NASCAR Races. My main sourse of Reference is the Floyd Clymer book, "Mercury 1939-1964".
On Page 62 it shows Parnelli Jones Number 15 car going up Pikes Peak. There is another picture of this same car on Page 63. In the picture on the right on Page 63 there is a picture of another Car 15, this one taken after winning the 150 miles Stock Car Race at Milwaukee.
Now, I know in racing, there are always more than one car bearing the same number, but in the case of these 2 cars, I believe that they are two totally different cars.
Diehards would know that these 63/64 Mercurys use Doors from the same model Ford Galaxie, but with added a Bolt-On Extension with a Chrome Strip on top to match the Crease on the Front Fender & the start of what would end up as the Fin.
While the Pikes Peak Cars pictured look like standard Mercurys, the NASCAR Mercury seems to be mising this Bolt-on Extension with the Chrome Strip on top on the Doors, & there does not seem to be a crease on the front Fender or Rear Quarter.
More pictures on Page 65 of NASCAR Mercurys numbers 14 & 15 also seem to be missing this "Unique to Mercury Crease".
Compare the location of the Door Handles with the colour dividor, & you will see that the Door Handles are on the colour divide on the "non?" genuine Mercury, while the Colour Dividor is much higher on the genuine Mercury Pike Peak car?
Do I need new Glasses, or am I dreaming?
I am convinced that there is a difference between these same model cars?
Before you reply, compare some of the photos of these various Racing 1963 1/2 Mercurys.
would love to hear what you come up with.
Regards Mercman from Oz <><
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote