Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #21
ronn

Default Re: Is it still possible to buy an unbuilt Shay kit?

I am trying to learn as much as possible about my Model A's. I have a 30 Phaeton and a 31 Town Sedan that I use in my Detroit-based touring business. Our success depends on my being able to keep the cars running.

Buy two extra cars and none will ever be down. Not an expensive proposition at all and your mechanic can swap them out after servicing............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
I am trying to learn as much as possible about my Model A's. I have a 30 Phaeton and a 31 Town Sedan that I use in my Detroit-based touring business. Our success depends on my being able to keep the cars running.

Buy two extra cars and none will ever be down. Not an expensive proposition at all and your mechanic can swap them out after servicing............

The biggest issue I would see with this is you probably need to have livery insurance on each vehicle -which I would expect to be rather expensive as a business.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM   #23
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
You know, I had never thought about that but an interesting perspective on your thought is that at Greenfield Village, they have the Model-T rides where park guests are given rides throughout the park in a Model-T. Ironically out of the 10 - 12 Model-Ts in their fleet, the majority are the replica 1914 Tourings that Ford built in 2008 for their centennial. Now they are used in the park Everything except the engine pans (engine block, frames, body, sheetmetal, axles, etc) is reproduction on those. I wonder how many complain about those cars being replicas and not an original vehicle??
I know nothing about the Greenfield village cars, BUT, if they are well representations of an original Model T I dont think I would have a problem riding in them as part of a tourist attraction. On the other hand, if I were patronizing a business that 'sells rides/rents/or whatever else to do with a "Model A" then a Shay car would def. be a disappointment. I have never ridden in either, but have seen both. From the outside the Shay is not really a bad looking car, however the interior is an abomination.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote